Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVG VS. NORTON

kimchi

Default AVG VS. NORTON

I'VE STOPPED RENEWING MY NORTON ANTIVIRUS AND AM USING AVG's FREE EDITION INSTEAD. IS THIS A STUPID THING TO DO?

yang11

Default I got what you have paid for.

AVG free version may not clean virus for you. it just qurantine virus. thats all in theory.
    GOOD LUCK

Babe Ruth

Default Re: AVG VS. NORTON

This will save you some money to spend on your other computer purchases. It will certainly do the job of antivirus protection.

Steve Askew

No its not stupid
    Ihave nortons 2003 that came with my motherboard (never installed it) & I prefer to use AVG

I use AVG & Paradise which has antivirus & spam protection
    & also I'm cautious when it comes to opening unknown files or attachments.
    Also I keep windows up to date Via Microsoft site.

Cheers steve

agent

Many people love AVG more so than Norton Anti-Virus, etc, and no, it's not stupid.

Might I suggest turning capslock off?

drcspy

Check out consumer magazine test on antivirus progs

1st Norton
    2nd McAfee
    3rd AVG

the difference between AVG and Norton was negligable......I am a tech and often come across folks who shudder at paying Symantic quite a bit of $$ for anti virus when there's a free program (AVG) which I am certain does as good a job..............I use it myself and have never caught a virus yet...............of course NO anti virus program is perfect but in my opinion based on experience AVG is FINE.............

Pheonix

Agree with drcspy, AVG is much lighter on resources than Nortons and causes less problems with slow down and conflicts. Recommend AVG to anyone.
    Norton has a slight edge in that it picks up "in the wild" virus's better and is better at picking up trojans.
    But for the average user, I don't think that gives it enough advantage over AVG.
    A lot of people go on the tests done over 12 months ago in which AVG didn't go so well. Later reports show a vast improvement. I have about 35 + people on AVG, and none of them have had any problems with un-caught virus's.
    Reports are OK, but real-life is the ultimate test.

Susan B

I am very happy with AVG, it has caught and cleaned quite a few virus infected files for me. :-)

nadius

AVG is good, but i believe norton update their virus definitions more frequently.

one time a friends pc with up-to-date AVG got infected whilst on my pc norton detected and quarantined the virus.

nevertheless, its free - so i say stick with it.

Jester

My personal experience:

I have used AVG for a few years now and it has caught a number of nasties on my kids' PC and one or two on mine. I installed it on mum's PC a year or so ago and she hasn't been infected since.

A colleague had Nortons, and it was causing problems as far as using system resources and they were getting continual notifications from Xtra and friends that they were sending infected files by email. Nortons didn't pick up anything, due largely to them not updating it regularly I guess, mainly due to costs involved in subscribing.

I used an uninstall program to thoroughly get rid of Nortons and installed AVG. AVG identified and quaranteened several viruses.

AVG updates the definition files regularly. Installing these now is very fast. You can schedule this to occur when you find it convenient. Mine starts at 12.30am each morning if the database is more than 3 days old.

I received a copy of Nortons with a new motherboard, and tried it out, but, to be honest it was too obtrusive for me, and slowed things down too much.

Maybe for those who don't mind many apps running at once and not clued up on what to look for or download and accept every file out there Nortons is a good choice, as long as they keep it updated and don't feel jaded at paying for it once their initial period of use is up. This, I feel is Norton's biggest downfall.

J