snug

Default What writer software is needed for .IMG files?

I have downloaded 3 CDs each of about 640MB .IMG files and I need to know what CDRW software is needed to write this to a CD.

I have Nero6 but this doesn't support .img files.

godfather

Default Re: What writer software is needed for .IMG files?

That depends entirely what the file purports to be. I suspect you will not want to state just what the files are, as any legit download would have full instructions....

.img file descriptor is widely used for many different file types, so your question could have several answers.

Have you tried simply renaming the fie to .iso and burning it?

BootyLicious

Nero will burn your img file, IE- us Nero Express in the list of what you would like to burn click on Disc Img or saved project. Then find the img file as easy as that.

PoWa

.IMG are a CloneCd Image file, you should also have a .CCD file in there which will have the necessary details in it for writing a successful copy. You will need CloneCd 4.2xx to burn the image.

metla

I dont quite understand GF's answer seeing as its irrelivent what the file formats are contained in the image,seeing as an img file is an image of a cd then it wont matter if its a music cd,game or anything else for that matter,burning it to cd is still the same process.

In Nero,Bypass the wizard and the new complialion box,then click file>burn image.This will probally throw up a box asking if you want to correct the byte size in order to go ahead,click yes and your on your way.

You could also use iso buster to extract the files from the image and burn em straight to cd(strangly enough this works fine 90 percent of the time)or even extract em to your hd and run them from there using the same process.

Or use isobuster to convert the img file to another type of image that you may have software that directly suports it.(iso,nrg,bin/cue..etc etc)

PoWa

Yep, isobuster would do the trick, also you can also use Alcohol120% or a CloneCd virtual drive to mount the image as a normal cd-rom, to test it so you don't waste cds.

But if these are game images, then you should burn them with the program that made the image, so you can at least try and reproduce the copy protection. Thats still dependant on the cd-writer's capabilities though.

godfather

> I dont quite understand GF's answer seeing as its irrelivent what the file formats are contained in the image,seeing as an img file is an image of a cd

The following are but some of the applications that generate/use a .IMG file.
    So it can matter what its "meant" to be.
    [pre]
    Bitmap Graphic
    ADEX Corporation ChromaGraph Graphics Card Bitmap Graphic
    Alias Bitmap Graphic
    Apple Macintosh Disk Copy Format
    AutoCAD CAD-Camera
    CloneCd Image
    Disk Copy, ShrinkWrap Disk Image
    ERDAS IMAGINE Format
    Floppy Image File
    Grand Theft Auto 3
    Idrisi32 Raster Image
    Image Whatnot
    Img Software Set Bitmap
    Microtek Eyestar
    Planetary Data System
    Radiance Scene Description Image
    Sharp GPB
    Starbase
    Ventura Publisher/GEM VDI Image Format Bitmap
    Vivid Ray-tracer
    [/pre]
    ...and there is more.

metla

Grand Theft Auto 3 ???