Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 'fur elise' plays over and over. arrrrgh!!!

For the past few months our pc has the annoying habit of playing the tune 'Fur Elise'. It seems to play at random and at no particular time, eg not after a keyboard action, programme opening ect. It only comes out of the modem speaker and if you hit ctrl alt del there is no sign of it running as a programme. It also bogs the system down while it is playing. Its got a wave form sound but it is nothing like the sound of the version that came with the machine. Cannot find any reference to it in the virus archives. Have cut the wire to the modem speaker but it of course still bogs down the system while it is playing. Any help out there. 'Please'

Default Re: 'fur elise' plays over and over. arrrrgh!!!

Do I get an award for answering the oldest question?
    Posted over 7 years ago, without an answer!

Quote Originally Posted by ;3868
    For the past few months our pc has the annoying habit of playing the tune 'Fur Elise'. It seems to play at random and at no particular time, eg not after a keyboard action, programme opening ect. It only comes out of the modem speaker and if you hit ctrl alt del there is no sign of it running as a programme. It also bogs the system down while it is playing. Its got a wave form sound but it is nothing like the sound of the version that came with the machine. Cannot find any reference to it in the virus archives. Have cut the wire to the modem speaker but it of course still bogs down the system while it is playing. Any help out there. 'Please'
    "During normal operation or in Safe mode, your computer may play "Fur Elise" or "It's a Small, Small World" seemingly at random. This is an indication sent to the PC speaker from the computer's BIOS that the CPU fan is failing or has failed, or that the power supply voltages have drifted out of tolerance. This is a design feature of a detection circuit and system BIOSes developed by Award/Unicore from 1997 on."

"Although these symptoms may appear to be virus-like, they are the result of an electronic hardware monitoring component of the motherboard and BIOS. You may want to have your computer checked or serviced."

http://support.microsoft.com//defaul...b;en-us;261186

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Glad you liked it, Wratterus.

Makes me wonder - yet again - about M$'s wisdom. Why not just have a pop up telling the user that the CPU fan is on the blink, etc?

Anh hellllloooooo Jamus....
    I still think I deserve an award on your end of year list!

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus1 View Post
    Do I get an award for answering the oldest question?
    Posted over 7 years ago, without an answer!

"During normal operation or in Safe mode, your computer may play "Fur Elise" or "It's a Small, Small World" seemingly at random. This is an indication sent to the PC speaker from the computer's BIOS that the CPU fan is failing or has failed, or that the power supply voltages have drifted out of tolerance. This is a design feature of a detection circuit and system BIOSes developed by Award/Unicore from 1997 on."

"Although these symptoms may appear to be virus-like, they are the result of an electronic hardware monitoring component of the motherboard and BIOS. You may want to have your computer checked or serviced."

http://support.microsoft.com//defaul...b;en-us;261186
    Here's the opportunity for youse guys to yank (the verb) the leg of a Yank (the noun) by telling me if this is so ...........or not.

Somehow...it seems feasible enough...but kinda "spacey" if ya ask me.

Those songs have never played on MY system...and I have an Award BIOS...but I hear "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" when I visit this site.

Лучше остановиться на углу крышиЧан в том же доме с сварливой женой.

Pedant and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus1
    ... Makes me wonder - yet again - about M$'s wisdom. Why not just have a pop up telling the user that the CPU fan is on the blink, etc? ...
    It's nothing to do with MS. It's in the BIOS provided with the hardware. You would get the same thing if the PC was booting to Linux. BIOS code is "basic", and doesn't provide for GUI things like popups.

LOL @ the irony - I saw this on another forum today.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Here's the opportunity for youse guys to yank (the verb) the leg of a Yank (the noun) by telling me if this is so ...........or not.

Somehow...it seems feasible enough...but kinda "spacey" if ya ask me.

Those songs have never played on MY system...and I have an Award BIOS...but I hear "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" when I visit this site.
    I think you are either geographically challenged again SJ, or trying to get a rise out of us Kiwis... Repeat after me - Kangaroos come from Australia, Australia is not New Zealand, New Zealand is not Australia, New Zealand is better than Australia, I will not mix up the two countries yet again.

Then go out to your back garden and hug a caribou or something.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I think you are either geographically challenged again SJ, or trying to get a rise out of us Kiwis... Repeat after me - Kangaroos come from Australia, Australia is not New Zealand, New Zealand is not Australia, New Zealand is better than Australia, I will not mix up the two countries yet again.

Then go out to your back garden and hug a caribou or something.
    My mistake.

I had to get my processor mad at me, but I finally made out the name of the song I hear:

E Te Hokowhitu A Tü

A quaint ditty!

Лучше остановиться на углу крышиЧан в том же доме с сварливой женой.

Why did they choose a song for a warning? They surely would have known that it would confuse people rather than warn them of imminent danger. If they really couldn't resist using a song, it should have been the lost in space theme song

I wonder if they still do that?