dougsnr

Default How do you switch between two hard drives?

I have used Nortons Ghost to clone C drive onto D drive. D drive is three times the size of C drive. Windows automatically boots into C drive, the original drive.

How can you make D drive the main drive, or how can you work between the two drives. C drive is only small in size and fills up fast.

The computer is a HP and does it's own thing when it boots up.

Thanks Doug Snr

Spacemannz

Default Re: How do you switch between two hard drives?

What version of Windows have you got? Also, why have two hdds with the same thing on it? And I take it, you want to reformat the smaller one now? Since you've copied to a bigger hard drive?

One has to be set as slave and the other master. I take it you did this in order to clone c?

dougsnr

Spacemannz

I am running Windows 98.

The HP computer only came with a 5 GB harddrive, which can be filled up rather fast. Put a second 15GB hard drive in, but have hardly used it.

Must admit I probably don't know a lot about these things. So both HD's now have the same programs after cloning C to D.

Expect it would be better to make D the master drive now to make best use of the HD size.

Silly question I know, but how would I do that?

Thanks Doug Snr

Spacemannz

Hi Doug. On the back of your hdd's there's a jumper, and should be labelled SL for slave, MA for Master, CS for Cable Select. The bigger hdd. Find MA on the back of it, and put the jumper on it. That'll make it master.

On the smaller hard drive, put the jumper on SL (slave). If the cloning went a OK. Everything on C should be ok on D, and D should be able to boot. The other thing you have to do, is go into the BIOS (F1, or DEL key as soon as you boot up). Go to the boot section of the BIOS and change the boot disk to D (When you open the case (you have to) in order to change the boot drives around. Take note of the model number on each. BUT the BIOS should tell you which hdd is the bigger one (It'll tell u the size). Save the BIOS settings, then reboot. D should hopefully then load.

Then once D loads, you can format C, if you like, (if you want to make it as a slave). If not, remove the smaller hard drive altogether.

dougsnr

Spacemannz

Thanks for your help.

Doug Snr

Peter H

If you change the jumpers to make D the master, you should not need to alter the BIOS. It will boot from this.
    Bye

Mzee

There seems to be a bit of confusion here.
    The Master on IDE1 , first Primary partition is always C, so if you change the jumpers, the small drive (C) ( also on IDE1 ) will become D. The larger drive will be 'C'.

Set the BIOS to Auto on all the drives and all will be taken care of.
    Set the Boot order to A,CDROM,C this way you can boot on a Floppy or CD Rom if you wish.

If you have trouble booting from yhe new C, check that it is activated. If you cloned it, it should be active.

Peter H

Correct - it will boot from the master - BIOS should not need any changes.
    Most HD's have no link - only link is on the slave.
    Bye