Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    caffy

Default Best place to put a computer?

It isn't really a technical question, but I was wondering that wherever you place your computer, does it affect the PC in any way?

For example, PC's are normally placed next to a wall or something (like mine is), but my parents have their PC placed next to a window, with the backs of the monitor and case facing the window.

I'm a little bit concerned about it, as this is a window where the sun shines into (in the mornings, for a couple of hours). Often I have felt the back of the case and monitor, and it is slightly warm (and the PC isn't even turned on!).

Is this something to be worried about? Like the insides of the monitor and case getting "fried"? Mind you, my parents have had their PC in this position for well over 2 years I would think, and surely by now some damage would have shown - if there WAS any damage to the inside parts.

KiwiTT

Default Re: Best place to put a computer?

It is better if it is backed onto a wall. High temps can cause problems with equipment, but rapidly changing temps can be reduce the life of equipment. Most computer rooms have a constant cool temp, so thereby extending the life of the systems in them.

Graham L

The UV usually makes all the plastic bits change colour. Bright sunshine can stop a mouse working (that's IR) . It can be hard to read the screen when there's bright light behind it (or behind you).

You won't get high enough temperatures to do damage.

caffy

There is a curtain on the window...

will this be good enough in giving some protection from UV rays?

turangilee

A little I guess best if you don't place your computer near a window try somewhere else like the corner of your room but never near the window

caffy

Well, problem is, that place is the BEST place for the computer, in our house...

the way our house was designed, it was NOT designed to have room for a desk with computer!

its sort of like a hallway, and it has a bay window...
    and the computer is in that...because if it is in the hallway, hard to walk around the computer...

Rank32

I put mine under and on my desk... I've found it works well there.

csinclair83

board the window up..drill little holes in it so u still get some light...
    would look cool as the wall opposite the window would look like ur own solar system

cyberchuck

Just be careful with the PC next to the window - you don't want the window facing the road or anything where people can look straight in and see a PC sitting there...

CyberChuck

-=JM=-

Located as close to both the TV, kitchen and bathroom is where I like to have mine.