jaydee

Default Converting Avi to Mpeg files.

I have a number of CD's containing AVI edited clips taken from VHS tapes. I want to convert these to digital so that I can make a DVD of the finished project. I have made a trial conversion of some of the clips but what worries me is the vast difference in file size. Avi = 10.8 mb , Mpeg =1.63 mb, identical clips. Is this just due to compression or is some information being left out that could make a vast difference in the quality of the final product. TIA Jaydee

tweak\'e

Default Re: Converting Avi to Mpeg files.

what dvd burner and software do you have ??

static

You can try out eo video. Or you can download the new wmv encoder series 9 from www.microsoft.com Or you can download the Real Media convertor on www.real.com

vk_dre

if i was u i would use TPMGEnc, it encodes avi files or anyother to MPEG and it can be converted to mpeg2 which is much better than mpeg 1 but the catch is some player might not be able to play mpeg 2 files so test out first, if u convert them to mpeg 2 or dvd format then even the mpeg fiels will take up a lot of space. I encoded a 350mb avi file to Mpeg1 which ended up at 470mb, then to mpeg 2 which ended up at 710mb. But when i encoded an avi file from dvd for a test it converted the avi file 20.mb to 8mb. I dont know why it does that.

cheers,
    v.K

jaydee

Thanks for your reply. On Windows machine I have the Nero CD burning programme but I want to transfer the Avi's to a Big ,any fries with that?, Mac. The only Mac program that I can find that will handle Avi's is Quicktime Pro 6 and can only be purchased in America. NZ and Aussie don't handle it any more. I am trying out a programme as suggested below.

Thanks any way. I seem to be taking 1 step forward and 2 backward.

Regards , Jaydee

jaydee

Thank you all for your reply. I Have downloaded TPMGEnc and have converted 5 of my 10 CD's to MPEG which will on my Mac using quicktime. When I use the Mac programme , iMovie, there is no sound. I read some where that MPEG handles sound differently then Avi. dose. What I can do is to use Sound Forge and record the sound track on a separate file and put the sound in manually. It is not 'Lip Sync' but being Video's of Island customs, the sound is an essential part.

Thank you all for your help and I am getting a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel, now that I have found the tunnel.

Regards,
    Jaydee

argus

A related but different topic; has anyone come across a tool that will convert Microsoft-proprietary wmv files to ANY more "open" format?
    I'm particularly disappointed that MS's inbuilt video editor will only (as far as I can see) create wmv's, even if you use mpg or avi files as input.

Argus

whetu

hi argus,
    try EasyX to convert away from wmv hell
    http://www.newfreeware.com/graphics/2097/