Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    argus

Default CD drawer opens and closes itself

Sometimes apparently in response to a click on something entirely unconnected with the CD, but sometimes under no stimulus whatsoever.

Yes, this is the same RW CD drive that disappeared then came back again. I know, I should take it in to receive the tender mercies of The PC Company - and preferably get it replaced by one that writes a little faster than 16x.

But I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this strange unprompted flapping in and out of the drawer, and whether it casts any light on what the root problem is.

Argus

drcspy

Default Re: CD drawer opens and closes itself

Hate to tell you this mate but that particular event is often symptomatic of someone having hacked your puter..........

it's a trick many hack trojan programs allow the person on the other end to do, (among other things - like damaging your files/folders/programs etc etc) opening and closing the cd drawer is one of those 'tricks' silly but true..........get yourself antivirus scanned immediately........

and if the scan shows a trojan then it's alomst certainly true also that the trojan contains a 'keylogger' component which can and will record EVERYTHING that you do on that puter including recording passwords ........and then passing that info to whoever planted that nasty ..........so .......if you find you have a trojan........get rid of it.......get a firewall and antivirus and THEN change your passwords for everything....

superOman

Hi
    I have the same problem with my CD drive. I think it is something faulty with the drive or driver software. I have formatted the hard drive (to fix another problem) and it still occurs, so I doubt it is a trojan (well in my case anyway)
    Hope this helps

argus

THANK YOU!

File sys64.exe, containing Backdoor.Checkesp.

On quarantining this infection, the D: drive - which this morning had disappeared entirely from MyComputer etc, but was still flapping the drawer - was restored in working condition (so far).

What worries me is that I DO have virus-checking (Norton AV) which I run and update regularly (last scan two or three days ago) and which is *supposed* to have "Autoprotect enabled" against "incoming" viruses and the like. I also DO, of course, have a firewall (Zone Alarm).

And this thing still got through.

Moreover, the first program I ran after reading the warning, SimplySuperSoftware's Trojan Remover FAILED to detect this backdoor, despite having the most recent signature update in place.

What's also a slight worry is that my computer supplier The PC Company (yes, them again) when the initial "disappearing drive" problem was reported to them, branded it, unhesitatingly, a "hardware fault".

I conclude there is a distinct possibility that:
    - NAV has shortcomings in its AutoProtect
    - that ZoneAlarm, Trojan Remover AND the PC Company cannot be trusted either.

OR that the person who inserted the "backdoor" has superior knowledge to any of the above.

I will continue to watch my CD drive, of course. It is possible that this is an "intermittent" fault, and went away purely coincidentally, or as a result of something else I did (reboot the PC; install a batch of Windows XP updates).

Oops! as I write, the CD drawer flips open again. Fresh virus scan in order. This suggests either that he's a strangely persistent bugger (and again!). Or that the existence of the "backdoor" was a coincidence.

I'll report back.

Argus

cicero

Do try adaware.

One word: Poltergeist.

cicero

>One word: Poltergeist.

Of course,thats it.
    Try exorcism.com.

argus

Subsequent virus scan turns up clean; D: drive currently "on the map", and reading, tho not very efficiently, when the drawer is closed. It is still likely to flip open without warning.

I'll try a preliminary exorcism, Bruce - tho' I'll clear the shelves first. Last time I uttered those words (in the service of a friend) a vase got smashed. It doesn't do to monkey with these things when you have but "a little learning".

I think a replacement (faster than 16x) drive is in order anyway; and I'll sprinkle it with holy water before installing.

Alternatively: any other suggestions?

Argus

Although viruses/trojans etc wil, get through anti-virus software (hey, no one's perfect) I'd lean towards this being a hardware fault.

If you have access to a second PC you could test the theory by taking the CD out and installing it in a different PC (not a hard thign to do). If it behaves in teh same eratic manner that'll pretty much say it's a hardware fault. If not then it's a OS/software and/or vurus problem on the other PC.

stu140103

> Although viruses/trojans etc wil, get through
    > anti-virus software (hey, no one's perfect)

Also some viruses/trojans etc… will shut down anti-virus software etc...