Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    bk T

Default Do You Trust PriceSpy??

Can Pricespy be trusted? No, no. It's just a gimmick to lure people to their shop.

I went to Pricespy and made a search on memory sticks and found that Gamma Computers has the best offer at $45.00 for a 256 mb sdram. I went to their shop at Newton Road this morning and was told sarcastically that there is no way they can sell it at such a price! Its' $99 + GST per stick.

Who and how did they actually compile those so-called lowest pricelists at Pricespy? I won't be surprised that those retailer are manipulating the whole show - intentionally put up a low price just to lure potential buyers to come to their shop hoping that they might buy it since they are already there. If not they may buy something else. It is full of rubbish!!!!

Shame of you, Pricespy and the lot.

Graham L

Default Re: Do You Trust PriceSpy??

There's usually a simpler explanation for things like that. The technical term is "cockup". Look for that before you assume an evil consiracy.

Iain Walmsley

Its called a error. It happens.

PriceSpy is an independant site that uses automated tools to check with the retailers website regarding price. There is no statement anywhere implying that it is 100% accurate, indeed if you read the about page it states explicitly that mistakes happen.

If you had bothered to check the retailer website and read the pricelist there, you would have seen that $99 was the current price, and would have saved yourself the trip.

Dont blame Gamma computers for a mistake made by PriceSpy.co.nz, nor for your own failure to check what would reasonably be assumed to be the accurate pricelist, namely that of the retailer.

Iain

bk T

Well, I agree that errors do occur. But I still strongly belief that the whole thing is just a sales gimmick. I have my doubts that Pricespy is an independent body. It is only logical that they do get 'something' in return from the retailer for their 'work'. There is no free lunches in this realistic, cruel world.

I was my own mistake for not going to Gamma's website or even phone them before going there; which I am not blaming any body for that. The point I want to make here is,

Pricespy is full of rubbish.

Will never visit it again.

Susan B

I don't think PriceSpy is a gimmick or a have. Whenever I check prices I always go to the website of whatever dealer has what I am interested in to check it out. If the dealer's website has their price wrong there is still not much you can do about it as most have a disclaimer for errors and omissions.

If nothing else PriceSpy is a good place to find dealers to buy your parts from and see what the going prices are for those parts.

roofus

> Well, I agree that errors do occur. But I still
    > strongly belief that the whole thing is just a sales
    > gimmick. I have my doubts that Pricespy is an
    > independent body. It is only logical that they do
    > get 'something' in return from the retailer for their
    > 'work'. There is no free lunches in this realistic,
    > cruel world.
    >
    > I was my own mistake for not going to Gamma's website
    > or even phone them before going there; which I am not
    > blaming any body for that. The point I want to make
    > here is,
    >
    > Pricespy is full of rubbish.
    >
    > Will never visit it again.

Theres always one.
    Don't worry guys he's probably american...... or british.

-=JM=-

PriceSpy does have the occasional problem but that is expected seeing as it is an automated system and not all retailers use the same description on their products.

When a retailer is found to be listing wrong prices and other dubious activitied I'm rather sure that PriceSpy remove that retailer when they hear about it.

You should however only use PriceSpy as a guide. A darned good one at that too.

Craigb

Could they have meant US$45? Thats pretty close to the actual price.

Mike

Another person complaining about a free service

I've been looking lately for info for upgrading my system. I've used Pricespy as a guide and only found 1 item (out of quite a few) to be incorrect - that RAM from Gamma... other than that everything was the correct current price at the suggested retailers. TBH I have a feeling that the price found at the Gamma site was for a Flash memory stick rather than the 256mb (if I remember rightly).

In the past I have found a few irregularities, but when I've approached the retailers concerned about the price difference they've mentioned that their price has recently changed and that they'd match it.

I use Pricespy all the time, and I've found it to be very reliable.

Mike.

cicero

>
    >Theres always one.
    Don't worry guys he's probably american...... or british.

This bounder shold be banned from this forum,obviously no taste.