Mizz_1Nique

Default XP how to get ctrl/alt/del startup at login

This is what I wanna do below: Only problem is that I don't have an Advanced tab on the User Account window (I'm using an account that has admin privileges). I have set the login so that you can't Fast Switch and turned off the Welcome screen.

I'm using XP Prof and not on a domain, just use a simple Peer2Peer network at home. And the Help feature won't work either.

Salute before you log on
    Setting your PC so that it requires you to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete before you log on to Windows protects your computer from Trojan horse programs, which can imitate log-on screens and trick you into revealing your user name and password. Using the "three-finger salute" ensures that you see the authentic Windows log-on screen. To enable this setting for a computer connected to a network domain, log on as the administrator, open the User Accounts Control Panel as described above, and click the Advanced tab. Under Secure Logon, check the option Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Then click OK.

If your PC is not connected to a network domain, log on as an administrator and open User Accounts. Click Change the way users log on or off. Uncheck Use the Welcome screen and click Apply Options. Users will now have to type both their account name and their password after pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete. They also lose the ability to do fast user switching, but the PC will be a bit more secure.Use the keyboard to lock your system. Going for a cup of coffee? Lunch? A meeting? Play it safe and lock your PC so that you have to enter a password to use it again. If your system is connected to a domain, simply press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click Lock Computer. You'll have to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete again and enter your password when you return. If you're not on a domain, press Windows-L to bring up the log-on screen without closing any apps. When you come back, pick your account and enter the password.

Babe Ruth

Default Re: XP how to get ctrl/alt/del startup at login

Mizz_1Nique,

To achieve this effect do the following
    Click START | RUN
    and in the run box type control userpasswords2 and click OK

You will now have the user Accounts with the Advanced tab available click that tab and at the bottom you will set the option for CTRL-ATL-TAB ...

Babe.

Babe Ruth

Further to my previous post see also this thread for more info.

User Accounts

Cheers, Babe.

Mizz_1Nique

Omg thanks Babe Ruth, what a quick and perfect reply. Have fixed it now to have ctrl alt del.

Just a quick question though, how did you know about that? Like is there someway of turning off the "kiddy" window layout to show the regular options and stuff like the old days?

Haidee

agent

> If your system is connected to a domain, simply press
    > Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click Lock Computer. You'll have
    > to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete again and enter your
    > password when you return. If you're not on a domain,
    > press Windows-L to bring up the log-on screen without
    > closing any apps. When you come back, pick your
    > account and enter the password.

If you're not connected to a domain (not to be confused with a workgroup), you will never be able to get close to having to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to logon. You'll only be able to get the six-button option dialog after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del while logged on. And to get that, you have to disable fast user switching and the Welcome screen. Pressing Windows+L when you've done this locks the computer.

Your post seems to contradict itself in some places, and makes no sense in others. Otherwise, it was correct.

Babe Ruth

Mizz_1Nique,

To achieve this effect do the following
    Click START | RUN
    and in the run box type control userpasswords and click OK

You will now have the 'normal' user Accounts with the option "Change the way users log on or off" you will see within there if you unselect "Use the Welcome screen" AND "Use Fast User Switching" you will end up with the Win2k classic logon screen.

Cheers, Babe.

P.S. Sorry I of course meant to say CTRL ALT DEL not tab in a previous post.