Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stormwarden

Default Mandrake 9 installer blank screen after vid test

After whoever mentioned it on this forum, I went into town and picked up a copy of APC, with Mandrake Linux 9.0 on the cover CD. After waiting to get hold of a friend's spare 4GB hard drive to experiment with, I've unplugged my normal HDD (just so nothing can screw up windows), and I am *trying* to give Linux a go.

I can get through all of the installer fine, up until the "Configure X" bit, where it asks me to pick a resolution/refresh/bit depth. On selecting the combo that I want (i've tried a couple), The installer does a video test, to make sure that the display mode works (it does), after which it basically displays a completely blank screen, and won't go back to the installer.

the keyboard lights (caps/num lock etc) are still functional, but the trusty three finger salute doesn't work, neither do any of the other keys/mouse/yada yada.

My machine is an Athlon XP 1800+, 256MB DDR, Nforce2 motherboard with onboard sound/lan, and a Geforce 4 MX440.

My FSB is overclocked ever so slightly to 143 (up from 133), and the AGP bus is at 100MHz (from 66), but all of this is completely stable in windows, along with the software overclocking for my card.

I've been wanting to try Linux for a long while now, I'm confident with DOS and Windows (to the extent where I still use the command prompt in XP), but have had absolutely no experience with Linux whatsoever.

Oh, by the way, the HDD is clean, and the Mandrake CD is bootable, just in case anybody wonders.

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: Mandrake 9 installer blank screen after vid test

Well, I can say, that aparpt from editing the:
    /etc/X11/XF86config file, I'm not too sure what you could do...

I [i]CAN[/i[ however suggest this:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread....1&thread=29867

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Dolby Digital

You will need to get the video drivers for Linux from the nVidia site. Hopefully they will give you install details as I have not installed a Force 4 video card.

bmason

Linux can be more picky than windows about overclocking. I would set everything back to default speeds until you get linux running...

re The blank screen:

It might be having trouble switching back to the graphical installer.

At the blank screen try hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1 through to F12 and see if it comes up with anything.

The graphical installer should be on F7 (IIRC). F1 - F3 have text consoles with logs of the installation.

Stormwarden

Thanks, i'll try that sometime today and get back to you.

By the way, as I type this post, I have a cheerful little

"You're about to reply to a post which is more than a month old. You might not get a response to your message.
    If you do not wish to continue, click on the BACK button of your browser to go back. "

Since I made this thread last night, I wonder if this is a bug in the forum?

Dolby Digital

>>Since I made this thread last night, I wonder if this is a bug in the forum?

I bug in the forum... never

Chilling_Silence

>
    > "You're about to reply to a post which is more
    > than a month old. You might not get a response to
    > your message.
    > If you do not wish to continue, click on the BACK
    > button of your browser to go back. "

>
    > Since I made this thread last night, I wonder if this
    > is a bug in the forum?
    >
    >

Yup, the guys will be looking into it next week when they get back They are aware of it thou

Stormwarden

I've just downloaded the linux drivers from Nvidia. Is there any way to make the installer use them at the start of the install, or do i have to wait until i get linux running before I can put on some specific drivers?

Stormwarden

New problem.

I've managed to get into Linux/KDE (after the screen goes blank, I found that pressing enter will eject the CDROM, and then restart) but I HAVE NO MOUSE CURSOR

The cursor stays stuck on the top left corner of the screen, but I can still move the mouse around, and the system focus moves with it (kinda like having an invisible cursor). Since my mousing isn't precise enough for me to tell exactly where the cursor is without being able to see it, can anybody tell me how to make it come unstuck from the top corner/visible?

Is this a problem with the hardware cursor support on my videocard?

Graham L

Linux does not like overclocking. It is a very good hardware test . If there is something which is not working properly at the highr speed, Linux will find it.

You'll probably be best to start using a generic VGA X driver. That will make it usable. Then install the proper driver for your card.