ljhnz

Default Word automatically saved changes to the normal document template....

Word automatically saved changes to the normal document template. Do you want to load it?

What does this mean please and what did I do to get the message before opening a document I saved to the desktop?
    (I couldn't save it to the folder I wanted, as Word said that particular folder was unavailable and could possibly be in another volume, or something???
    I just want to know whether to select yes or no to that message!
    Cheers
    Lynne

mikebartnz

Default Re: Word automatically saved changes to the normal document template....

Sounds like you made some changes which reflected back to Normal.dot but am not sure about the second part of the message and you didn't say what version of Word you are using. Have you got the latest virus scanner? Did you open a file you got over the net?

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: Word automatically saved changes to the normal document template....

You should still be able to open it. Virus scanner is a good idea. Depending on what version of Office depends on exactly how to change the normal.dot file. Fairly easy, I was doing it just yesterday in fact!!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

godfather

Are you on a network, or sharing the system files?

ljhnz

Hi mikebartnz
    I've got Norton Antivirus 2002 (All updates up to date!)
    Word version is 2000 (9.0 3821 SR-1)
    I was just trying to open a file I'd created myself.

ljhnz

Hi Chilling_Silence
    Yeah I know I should still be able to open it - just wanted a handle on what would happen if I said "Yes" to loading it, or "No"
    I don't think it's too much of a problem really, I am just curious as to why it happened.
    Cheers
    Lynne

ljhnz

Hi v
    Nope - just sittin' at home and file & print sharing is disabled.
    Cheers
    Lynne

ljhnz

Hi godfather
    Nope - just sittin' at home and file & print sharing is disabled.
    Cheers
    Lynne

godfather

It really wont matter much, if you dont have a lot of "customised" settings you can navigate to wherever it stores the "normal.dot" global template file and delete it.

It depends on several factors as to where it is stored, but look under "search" for normal.dot. Its a system file so you may need to enable searching on them depending on your version of windows.

Next time Word starts up it will re-create it with default settings. This file does get corrupted from time to time and causes odd problems, but the cure is so easy.