Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Graham Petrie

Default Office XP Service Pack 2 and my new, unmelted office discs.

Hi, I just received my replacement copy of Office XP from Microsoft after my copy melted in my drive.

As a point of note to tose who followed this saga, MS replaced my melted upgrade CD set with a full unlicensed version of the software - as I already have a license for the upgrade. This is important to note as the discs have the following on them "NOT FOR RETAIL OR OEM DISTRIBUTION" "UNLICENSED SOFTWARE - illegal without separate license from Microsoft".

This is noe prob of course, and now I have a full version of the software. They charged me $49.95 for the trouble, which is not bad as the waranty for the product does not cover accidental damage.

I now want to slipstream SP-2 with my installation which I am backing up this time.

I have two questions. 1) can I slipstream SP-2 without an administartive installation of the original disc - ie just copy the contents of the CD across, not perform a x:\setup /a install. the reason is that my CD's do not allow an administrative installation to occur.

2) If I slipstream with SP-2, has SP-1's fixes been applied, or do I first have to put SP-1's files into the burn folder? The reason I ask is SP-1 is not required to be installed first if the admin installer is used. But does this just mean that SP-1 is not applied, or does it mean that SP-2 admin install includes SP-1?

Cheers.

G P

Graham Petrie

Default Re: Office XP Service Pack 2 and my new, unmelted office discs.

<bump>

Sorry - only three hours and it's already post number 40 in the list - lots of traffice today, but not on this thread :-(

G P

Graham L

Well, you should confine yourself to questions that we know the anwers to. ]

-=JM=-

I'm not entirely sure how it all works. I was under the impression that you put the files on the CD in a directory somewhere and edit a file.

I don't think that an admin install is required to do it.

I'll try and find some links later.

Graham Petrie

damn, blast and crap!

I spent most of the day downloading both SP-1 and SP-2 admin update (85mb in all) in order to do what I wanted. I had already previously downloaded the normal versions of the updates.

I then found out that yes, the admin version of SP-2 contains SP-1.

Bugger - just wasted the downloading of SP-1.

Oh, well, delete it! Oh and delete the non-admin version too. I won't be needing those anymore...

OK adimn install of Office. No can do - I have an "Enterprise Edition" WTF that means.

Oh, well, just copy across. Ok now install SP-2. Extracts ok, now merge with Office. No can do - I have an "Enterprise Edition"???

So, now I have wasted bandwidth on SP-2 when it won't even work with the replacement version of Office M$ gave me.

And whats worse? I deleted the normal updates as well. So now I have to download them again!

Doh! As I was writing that, I just remembered the backup I made yesterday of my data partition including those patches - sweet!!

Anyway, hope that all made sense.

Bye, off to restore my backup.

G P

-=JM=-

I wonder if the disc is actually physically different from the standard Office discs.

HadO

Hehe...

Yeah, all Service Packs come with the previous ones built in for that specific product.

You learn something new every day

Graham Petrie

When you say physically different, I presume you mean content??

Can't be as the installer restricts admin installs and updates. Also, the install file proplus.msi is called proret.msi on my CD.

Slipstreaming is not possible with this version. Tough luck I guess.

G P

Graham Petrie

Sorry, i got it backwards. it won't work because I don't have an enterprise edition.

Proplus.msi stands for professional plus.

Proret.msi stands for professional retail

G P

-=JM=-

So you can't just use a different key then.