Carol T

Default Hotmail "Sent Messages" deleted!

Today I went into my hotmail email to look at some messages I had saved that were in the "Sent Messages" folder ...and they had disappeared!! But, there was a cryptic little message in a box at the top of the page...."Messages more than 30 days old will be automatically deleted from this folder".

Now, if the recipients of those saved messages have also deleted them at their end I have lost those words into cyberspace....arrrgh!

What I am wondering is if Hotmail sent any warnings out to account holders that they were intending to initiate this little change? I don't recall getting one either the last time - when they changed their system to clean out people's folders if they did not access their accounts within the previous 30 days...another glitch that caught me out when computer access was limited. I lost stuff then too...some lovely emails my daughter had sent me from overseas...precious.

Yes, I do copy vital info to word files...not totally stupid. But when you edit your email daily and keep on it only the useful stuff that you will be re-reading or re-using for quick access, it kind of defeats the purpose of using a service that so proudly promotes itself to the masses if it turns around and bites you in the bum!

And, yes, I know their terms state they can delete messages pretty much any time they want...it is just the courtesy thing that bugs me. Words are precious and irreplacable sometimes..to be given enough notice to save something before the parameters change would have been nice.

(I haven't used my ISP-based email account for everyday use as I was afraid of it becoming clogged with spam...and I don't use Outlook Express for email as it is too prone to viruses and other nasties).

robo

Default Re: Hotmail "Sent Messages" deleted!

It is pretty much a "get what you are given and be thankful" service.
    I just checked my hotmail account, which I used for three days two weeks ago. 69 junk mails that weren't filtered and 53 that were. My address is known by nobody, but once I used it - BANG! the junk started rolling in.
    Never rely on someone else to look after your data. If you had something important there, then you should have forwarded it to a safe place.
    I know that doesn't help now, but I think the horse has bolted.
    robo.

Susan B

Carol, you can avoid these problems if you set up Outlook Express (if that's what you use) to receive your Hotmail emails.

You can also compose and send emails from OE as well and I hardly ever go to my online Hotmail account.

Once I receive or send Hotmail I move the emails I want to keep into a designated folder in OE so Hotmail can't touch it with their rules and regulations then.

Pauline

Yes, Hotmail did notify people about deleting items in the sent items folder.
    I got my notification ages ago. I agree with Susan about accessing Hotmail from OE, although I think that you can't do it from OE 6. I have OE 5 & it works fine.
    Pauline.

cadifan

> (I haven't used my ISP-based email account for
    > everyday use as I was afraid of it becoming clogged
    > with spam...and I don't use Outlook Express for email
    > as it is too prone to viruses and other nasties).

You're a million times more likely to get spam in Hotmail than your ISP's account email. You're right about OE, so try Eudora (very good) or IncrediMail (also very good).

mark c

I think Hotmail and Yahoo are running down their free services , they're just an expense which the ads. don't cover. They want you to sign up for the pay options and will continue to downgrade them as people either sign on to pay or migrate (in droves) to Eudora or Incredimail or others.

The end is nigh for Hotmail!!!!!!!!!!!Yipppppppppeeeeeeeee!

Dunno why I still use it, my 'first' emal facility. sigh.

Susan B

How's this for timing: tweak'e's post has a mention of Hotmail's 30 day limit.

Carol, I didn't read your post properly at the end and missed the bit about you not using OE due to the nasties. I can understand your concern in this regard but like the other people have said, you can use Eudora with the email address your ISP provided.

As long as you limit the distribution of that address to trusted friends and family, there isn't a high chance of attracting spam. Have a look at the spam FAQ (link is at top right of this page) for some tips on avoiding it.

oh baby

I agree with with hotmail being a breeding ground for spam but I've found that by keeping your junk mail filter definitions up to date with the current batch of spam subjects the inbox remains reasonably clean. Also another good idea is to get an unusual email addy even if it is from hotmail- something that is not close to other addys is ya best bet so spammers dont get your email by chance. Hopefully a bit of good advice in there.

Capital

Further to postings by Susan B and Pauline you can access Hotmail via Outlook Express 6