Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wellington's Ngauranga Gorge speed camera reclaims title as NZ's top ticketer

WTF do you expect?!!

The damn thing is catching downhill traffic. By Newton's law, of course ir will pull more tickets than a similar radar trap on a flat road

Story here.
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Default Re: Wellington's Ngauranga Gorge speed camera reclaims title as NZ's top ticketer

Nothing to do with Newton whatsoever, the downhill speed of a car is entirely in the control of the driver, surely you are aware of that elementary fact ? Have no empathy for your view at all, especially as a friend of mine had both his legs smashed to bits by a car who failed to stop for an accident that had happened on the hill just before, and he was helping at the scene.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Default Re: Wellington's Ngauranga Gorge speed camera reclaims title as NZ's top ticketer

See that big pedal on the floor, next to the go faster pedal? That's the brake.

What sucks is its 100K before the downhill section, changes to 80K where the camera is, then shortly after back up to 100K.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Cleverly engineered revenue gathering...
    FTW

If my memory is correct, it's been 80km/h long before the speed camera went in.
    Amnesia International, remembering for those that can't.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    What sucks is its 100K before the downhill section, changes to 80K where the camera is, then shortly after back up to 100K.
    The 100kph actually ends just after south bound jville exit above jville so heaps of time to slow down. I’ve never managed a ticket there, and travel that road almost everyday. All that is needed is being in the correct gear. This works in both manual and automatic. Don’t even need to use brakes.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Watch the rear brake lights on most cars going down the Gorge - they are all brightly illuminated red!

Why?

Because most motorists don't engage a lower gear when going downhill. Most are too lazy and would rather use their brakes.

That is why so many motorists get speeding tickets.

If you don't believe me, just try dropping down a gear next time you drive down the Gorge.

This fact is more relevant with cars with automatic gear boxes. The cars will pick up speed going downhill
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

These days on the Ngauranga Gorge its more to do with revenue gathering than speed control. Yes there used to be some smashes there, that was before the median barrier went in, the same time the speed cam went in as well. it was the introduction of the median barrier that stopped the crashes.

What is a lot more effective but non revenue gathering for the police is the signs that flash up your speed. If you are going a little bit fast, you know instantly and can slow down, but with a cam you get a ticket several weeks later, get pissed off - to late then.

A classic example of that was they used to have one of those speed signs at the bottom of the wainui hill, Lower Hutt side, but because it made people slow down the speed cam didn't go off, remove the sign and guess what - revenue goes up.
    Another good example of the signs working - there's a newish one down wellington road a while back, if you are doing the speed limit it shows your speed and a big smiley face in orange
    IF you go over it turns bright red and flashes, no smiley face - you notice it right away. I "think" the trigger is 52km. The general traffic down wellington road is a lot slower (within the speed limit) since those were in, and not a cam in site.

Seen MANY people always looking down at their speed instead of watching where they are going, there was almost a smack yesterday when I went out, the guy in the next lane slowed down quick, and the car behind him, the driver was looking down - almost up the date.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-10-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    These days on the Ngauranga Gorge its more to do with revenue gathering than speed control. Yes there used to be some smashes there, that was before the median barrier went in.
    Uhuh.
    That's what they'd say about the Waikato Expressway too.
    But some moron crossed just the other day and had a head on. (No doubt on the road works bit).

It just makes people even less careful.

We came back along it the other week, raining on and off, there was a huge downpour, we slowed right down, a short bit further we came to a sudden traffic jam.
    Why?
    Oh yeah, the 5 cars that had run up the back of each other....

We drive along at 100, and almost everyone is passing us.

Son regularly drove from Waiuku to Waitakere for ages, that goes 50, 100, 80, 70, 80, 100.
    Not hard to adjust your speed if you pay attention, in all the years he did it, he only had one ticket, and that was when they added the 70 bit, which used to be 80.
    wipe your paws.