Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Laptop

Default Cheap Laptop

http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz...7.html#start=1

Hi all.
    warehouse stat has this laptop for $197. with W10 which I like. The specs seem ok for me as I only want if for Kindle etc e books & playing Mahjong & Music. My Toshiba 15.6 stays in my room & does all the "Heavy Work, like emails . I want something smaller with W10. Is this good value for that?

I see that there is a new laptop brand on the market, EVERIS. Anybody know anything about it?

I have a Sumsung Galaxy which belonged to Maryann but I am not enamoured with it. I dont particularly like Android.

What is the difference between Chromebook & any other laptop?

Thanks. PJ.
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Default Re: Cheap Laptop

The one linked is not actually a laptop, its basically a tablet with a clip on keyboard. It should be OK for the basics you listed, but not much else. BUT be careful with cheap devices, they are cheap for a reason.

A Chromebook ---- This is in a nutshell a Computer that requires an internet connection to do anything. Look at it as a browser - you do everything online, without a internet connection there's nothing you can do.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Honestly PJ? Waste of money, time and space. You want cheap, AND good? Even for what you want to do on it? Forget it.... it’ll be so slow after about a month you’ll probably want to use is it as a door stop or chopping board........
    Just shoot me if I’m wrong lol!

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

I had an Acer tablet with very similar specs. It was ok really as long as you didn't try to multitask and was surprisingly good at playing Video or streaming so I think it would be ok for the things you mention.
    However the real issue is the 32Gb of storage, it's just too small. You will find yourself constantly trying to manage space and forget updating it. Mine had the previous gen atom quad core and windows 8 and I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to upgrade to windows 10 and had to use an SD card for extra space. Really after that experience I consider 64Gb the absolute minimum to run windows, even with a tablet and very few programs installed.

Windows really suffers performance issues when the main drive runs out of space and solid state storage works best with some free space as well which is a terrible combination on such a small drive.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Windows 10 alone will take up around 16Gb and with other software you won't have much space left so you will need a extra storage card

Also Windows 10 starter or is it "S",there will be compromises as well

See if it has a name so you can research reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Windows 10 alone will take up around 16Gb and with other software you won't have much space left so you will need a extra storage card

Also Windows 10 starter or is it "S",there will be compromises as well

See if it has a name so you can research reviews
    Just adding to that, IF its windows "S" then you cant install ANY normal programs. You will only be able to install Apps from the windows Store.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Thats what I assume as well

Is there a Windows 10 starter?,I know there was Windows 7 starter

Most of the cheap laptops here are rubbish. Either not enough space (and you cant replace it with a hdd). Or lack of ram

Android tablets aren't too bad.Got one from Alixpress about 2 weeks ago. 10.1', Octacore, 4 GB, 64 GB, 1980*1200. For about $145 NZ.

And it supports 2 sims. Supports 4G, and Android 6 is on it. I was surprised that it supports dual band wireless as well.

There's 2 versions of this tablet. The other has Android 7 on it. But it supports 3G only. Not 4G

And most of the apps for it are either free, or you can buy them for a few $. Way better than an Android phone. Most of these have stuff all space and ram on them as well

It may not be that bad. Its only $200, seems like a good deal to me .
    Its a quad core Atom . Plenty of Atom based laptops out there. They arnt as fast as an i3, but usuable for many, if used within its limitations.
    Its got an solid state HD (sort of), so a bit of speed from that

Just go to the shop & try it. Check the screen brightness & quality, if you can , see how it looks under bright lights or by a window .
    see how many USB ports it has (possibly only 1)
    See what angle the screen will go to, some wont tilt back far enough leaving them at a bad angle for veiwing .

Is it Windows S, or Windows Starter ?
    See if it can run in normal desktop mode

re your question about Chromebooks,
    think of chromebooks as a notebook that will ONLY run chrome, nothing else (not 100% true but thats the best way to think of them)
    Last edited by 1101; 10-10-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Hi All. Nuff said I think. Just a dream. Thanks PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)