Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Well what is the consensus of what the new Government will look like?

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    For what it’s worth, my contribution was that if I were Jacinda, I would go to Winston and tell him that I would have no problem with him being Prime Minister on the proviso he stepped down prior to the next election and either retired or swapped places.

I would tell him I felt I was a bit young and inexperienced to be Prime Minister but would be happy to finish my apprenticeship under him. (figuratively speaking) ;
    You'd obviously been indulging yourself for a little while when you came up with this. It would be political suicide for Ardern, and Labour would be absolutely hammered at the next election. It won't happen.

As an aside, she's been an MP since the 2008 election. While she hasn't been leader of Labour long, calling her inexperienced is absurd. As to age, I don't think jobs like that come with any age requirement - it's about ability.
    Last edited by Nick G; 09-10-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    38.7% of stasistics are made up on the spot, and 56.3% have a decimal point added to make them more believeable.
    Ryzen 5 1600 <> RX580 4GB <> 8GB Ram <> 240GB SSD <> 1TB HDD <> Windows 10

Can't re Member

Default Re: Well what is the consensus of what the new Government will look like?

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    I don't see the point of your post, we have an MMP system, electorates are barely relevant.
    The point of the post was that it could be the first time it might occur. Yes electorates are barely relevant these days but I doubt that most people understand that. However I don't actually like it myself that individuals can enter parliament without being individually elected, not that I'm against minorities having seats. ie I don't like MMP but I'm not sure if there is a better option.

Golden Oldie

"However I don't actually like it myself that individuals can enter parliament without being individually elected, not that I'm against minorities having seats"

The thing that is objectionable with MMP is that a sitting electorate member can also be on the list, frequently high on the list, and if his/her electorate dumps the MP he/she is back in as a list MP.

Sitting Electorate MPs should not have two bites at the cherry, ie at an election either stand as an electorate MP and pray their constituents love them enough to give them another go, or take their chances as a list MP - definitely not both.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by KenESmith View Post
    "However I don't actually like it myself that individuals can enter parliament without being individually elected, not that I'm against minorities having seats"

The thing that is objectionable with MMP is that a sitting electorate member can also be on the list, frequently high on the list, and if his/her electorate dumps the MP he/she is back in as a list MP.

Sitting Electorate MPs should not have two bites at the cherry, ie at an election either stand as an electorate MP and pray their constituents love them enough to give them another go, or take their chances as a list MP - definitely not both.
    That pretty well sums up my atitude to MMP.
    In addition list MPs are only loyal to their party and have little interest in those who vote.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    I were Jacinda, I would go to Winston and tell him that I would have no problem with him being Prime Minister on the proviso he stepped down prior to the next election and either retired or swapped places.
    WTF?
    He didn't win.
    He may have the deciding vote but that sure doesn't make NZF the majority.

He will get some of his policies through and that's it.
    How many and to what extent determines his choice.
    wipe your paws.

You know for those short on memory and the overly dramatic, this has happened before:

1996 : National and NZ First
    2005 : Labour and NZ First

Son now it's 2017: X and NZ First
    wipe your paws.

Best coalition: National + Laobour

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    My bet is that the new Gov't will look like a bunch of dorks, and will act accordingly (after raising parliamentary pensions of course).
    And giving themselves a pay rise..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I'd like to see a confidence and supply arrangement with National, fair to those other than the list MPs. It's a logical and rational solution.

Both qualities some contributors to this thread sadly lack.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    You'd obviously been indulging yourself for a little while when you came up with this. It would be political suicide for Ardern, and Labour would be absolutely hammered at the next election. It won't happen.

As an aside, she's been an MP since the 2008 election. While she hasn't been leader of Labour long, calling her inexperienced is absurd. As to age, I don't think jobs like that come with any age requirement - it's about ability.
    Oh God, our absolute authority on everything is back.

Ardern has quite a difficult hand to play and she wonít have to worry about what hand she has to play in three years time if she doesnít get the one in front of her right. A lot will depend on how some of the cagey old buggers play theirs.

As for getting hammered next election, that would depend entirely on what sort of performance they put up in the next three years.

The apprenticeship in Politics is long and hard and Winston was battling it out a couple of years before she was even born. I remain unrepentant, and think she needs to Coattail someone, but isnít exactly ďspoilt with choiceĒ.

Anyway, as I said in the lead post, thatís what Iíd be looking at if I were her, but do feel free to advise the correct method.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.