Thread: Id10t

Default Id10t

Classic case of complete stupidity! Had a call from person in distress this evening. They’d had a call yesterday from someone saying they were from Spark saying her computer was at risk of crashing and that they needed to know all her details, and did she do Internet banking. So, being the gullible person that she is gave them all they wanted to know, except the password which she could not remember. However she did give them her credit card number!
    All this being really strange, as she is with Vodafone, not Spark...... (which I did mention that that would be a dead giveaway to a phishing scam.)

She said he was very kind and waited for her to find it. She didn’t actually have a clue as to what it was and told the person she thought it was *********. Which it wasn’t, because of course he tried it immediately. He got annoyed and said he would phone her back later to see if she’d found the right one.

She suddenly thought that something was not quite right and phoned her bank, they straight away stopped all her transactions and cancelled her credit card! Good bank!
    She was quite distressed when she phoned me, and I told her to just hang up the phone if they called her back. She still thinks it was a genuine person from Spark because they gave her a personal employee number. Huh?

Id10t.....

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Default Re: Id10t

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    someone saying they were from Spark saying her computer was at risk of crashing and that they needed to know all her details, and did she do Internet banking. She still thinks it was a genuine person from Spark because they gave her a personal employee number. Huh?
    OMG! Can you not explain where is the relevance between a computer crashing and needing her credit card number??

Even if the PC did crash, so what? Doesn't stop you doing your banking....you can use another device, wait till it's fixed, whatever.

Also Spark run retail ph and net services. They have no idea if there is a fault with the line or hardware at exchange, that's Choruses dept.
    Even if there was a fault with sparks end of the net, what has THAT got to do with her own PC? Nothing.

And none of them have anything to do with banking.

Banking nor the net nor the PC have anything to do with credit cards either......OK credit cards are normally issued by the bank, but it's not owned as such by the bank.
    It's connected to your account, but organizations that push a credit card with their branding aren't a bank so they partner with a bank to offer the card.

Perhaps if you spell it out like that she might get it?
    wipe your paws.

I always used to give the inexperienced people my list of rules:

1) Never open emails with attachments that have come from people you don’t know. This runs the attached program - just click once on the mail and then select delete. This is how most key-loggers get installed.

2) Do not “unsubscribe” or reply to spam, it just confirms your address and adds you to a database and you will end up with even more.

3) Do NOT download programs that claim to make your PC run faster, improve internet speed, fix registry, clean out problems or check for problems. They are usually malicious and will make the situation worse, not better. See rule 4.

4) If you see a program that looks useful, get confirmation from someone with experience first, to make sure it is a legitimate safe program.

5) Do NOT respond to emails or phone calls or txts asking you to enter passwords or provide any kind of banking details – such as Trademe, bank websites, phone companies or similar. These places do NOT ask you for this information and will be a scam to get your passwords or credit card details etc.

6) Do not respond to emails directing you to a website with offers of products and services, unless you have specifically asked for this information. They will be a scam to get credit card numbers or similar.

7) Back up your important data – photos, documents, everything you want to keep. Do this by COPYING (not moving) the data to a separate external hard drive. In case of disaster, your data is not lost. Trying to retrieve data from a dead hard drive is enormously expensive, and usually not always successful.

8) Don’t use easy to guess passwords, like 12345, children’s names, pet’s names, birthdays etc. Don’t store passwords, pin numbers, credit card numbers in documents on the computer. Don’t write passwords, pins etc on the wall or on notes near the computer.

9) When on websites, downloading or streaming – check for boxes stating downloads will happen. UNTICK them or find another site if you can’t.

10) When installing ANYTHING, do it in CUSTOM or ADVANCED mode, never basic. This way you can SEE and untick any extra installs it is going to add. These will be the sort of stuff in Rule 3.

11) No organisation, banks, internet companies, any IT company will ever ring or email saying you have issues with the PC, they cannot know this for one thing, and do not contact you even if this was true. See rule 5.

12) If unsure of anything at all, ask your IT support person first. That’s what they are there for.
    wipe your paws.

Pctek, I tell them all those things all the time, sometimes I make them write them down. You can tell some people all of the time, all the people some of the time, till you’re blue in the face, but you might as well just go bang their heads together most of the time!

LL.
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

I don't TELL them, I print it out and tape it near the PC
    wipe your paws.

No spare space to tape up notes by my PC; it's totally covered with post-it notes listing passwords etc.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

It happens , people give CC info to scammers surprisingly often in NZ . Usually the elderly .
    One chap signed up for an ongoing PC maintenance contract with these scammers . Once a year they would log in & do nothing of significance - apart from the scam they ran, they
    didnt do anything dodgy with his PC or CC details .