Default office 365 : when is cached email too much to cope with

office365, Outlook 2016 , email cached to ost

at what size (total email) , on average, does it become simply too much cache email for Outlook to cope with: slowdowns & issues trying to sync etc

assuming ADSL, not fibre

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: office 365 : when is cached email too much to cope with

Well theoretically, as long as your email isn't changing significantly every 5 minutes AND the mailbox isn't extremely large (GBs) you should be ok.

In my experience I have seen cache mode work reasonably well with exchange mailboxes up to 2-3GB, when you start getting into the 4GB+ range things can get tricky especially if the user has multiple folders and a high item count within those folders.

Cache mode is really only beneficial to laptop users in my opinion but can be used on desktops.

I guess the question is, what is your rationale behind using cache mode?

Cheers,

Asus P8Z77-VL X
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus CPU Water Cooler
    32GB DDR3
    2 x 250GB SSD, 3 x 2TB WD Enterprise HDD
    Asus DVD/RW
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970
    Coolermaster Centurion Case & 550W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post

I guess the question is, what is your rationale behind using cache mode?

Cheers,
    Its the default, cached mode is set automatically .
    to allow offline use , for laptops offsite . Non cached mode may by just as bad given the size of the mail box (?)
    Ive disabled cache on office PC's with 10G+ of stored email, to speed things up. But then I got the complaint about the (micro sec) time to download & open
    attachments . Just cant win

Anyway, I wish we were talking about 2-4Gb .
    Try 50Gb++ , on adsl . AND several shared mailboxes (in online/non-cached mode)
    Its super laggy, and outlook will often pause for a sec or so, as it tries to sync everything
    Then the OST gets corrupted or email cant stay in sync if on slow mobile internet

Im just trying to get an idea of what size the mailbox needs to be to get things running nicely on 365.

365 has an online archive mode, I'll look into that as an option.
    The user has to be able to access old emails, and other users shared mailboxes, thats the problem .

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Yes that is a challenge.

The correct solution to your problem is setting up mailbox quotas, implementing an archive solution and educating users about efficient and effective mailbox management.

Any user who claims they need full-time access to a 10GB+ mailbox is just lazy. There is no logical or reasonable explanation for a user to have a mailbox of that size. In my own experience none of the above is easy to achieve, but usually after their first "hard drive" crash or the laptop gets stolen users tend to be more agreeable. As for shared mailboxes... this is tricky, Outlook can get very temperamental when it comes to shared mailboxes which are large and not to mention when they are being accessed by multiple users concurrently. Changes by a single user to the mailbox will then cascade to all other users of the mailbox so again there's always going to be a performance issue. I have always suggested to users that if they need to access a shared mailbox they should use the "Open other User's folder" option as and when required. This prevents Outlook from running sluggish.

The only way I got around this problem was to:

• Create PST files (for individual users) and have these accessible via the local computer. This at least gets rid of the sluggishness which is likely where the most "noise" is coming from.
    • Make use of off-line files for "My Documents" and store the PST files here. This way the user has a local copy of the PST file and there is also a network copy of the PST which can be backed up etc. You will need to ensure that offline files only syncs "on-net" and not over Wi-Fi or VPN etc as this will just bring the sluggishness back.

The harder parts are:
    • Once the user's mailbox has been "PST'd" so to speak, set a mailbox limit... 4GB should be enough. This provides enough room for them to keep emails and satisfies your requirement to not have oversized mailboxes.
    • Inform the user of the changes made, explain how it works etc. Make sure that they are aware of the mailbox limit and what the implications are if they exceed the set size.
    • Provide some sort of guide on how to manage email effectively (probably won't go down well with upper management types but worth a shot). One technique I used to advise users about was the 4 D's for email management, Do, Delete, Delegate, Defer. It's a simple strategy that teaches you how to manage your email by making you assign one of the 4 D actions to your email with an emphasis on taking no more than 5-7 minutes per email.

Asus P8Z77-VL X
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus CPU Water Cooler
    32GB DDR3
    2 x 250GB SSD, 3 x 2TB WD Enterprise HDD
    Asus DVD/RW
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970
    Coolermaster Centurion Case & 550W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro