Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording TV Programmes

We often record a TV programme, sometimes we are not home to watch the programme and sometimes there are two programmes on that we want to watch, both on at the same time so we record one and watch the other.

The big advantage of recording a TV programme is that we don't have to watch the commercials. We have a button on our recorder that when pressed, on playback, advances the recording 30 seconds - the length of a commercial - and if we press it eight times - there are eight commercials most times - we are back with the programme after less than eight seconds. On average an hour long programme can be watched in hour. Did you realise there was that many commercials?

Do many other people record programmes? Let us know your experiences.
    Last edited by Roscoe; 05-10-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

Default Re: Recording TV Programmes

SWMBO records lots of medical type programs, then usually watches them over the weekend. Or other programs Like Family Feud or some sort of doc/history program and we watch when there's nothing else on worth watching.

What we do often, is Pause the program go and do something else for a while, then when come back you get some fast forward, usually just skip the ads and get to the program.

Cutting out the commercials is good if you want to watch the whole program at once, other wise they are good for dunny stops and coffee /tea making
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

I have one of the newer freeveiw boxes, that has a record to USB function
    Unfortunately, no button to advance 30secs. I really miss that , my old DVD Rec had it.

I dont watch much TV now, so dont rec that much. Most TV programs I dont care if I miss :-)

Older by the minute

What do you record the TV Program with? I assume it might be on the Sky box. I can record up to three programs at once from Sky and watch a fourth (if I was ever that keen). Otherwise I can record on a Hauupage card on my Desktop. Haven't used a VCR for many a year.

Can't re Member

Had a freeview recorder for quite a while now, just brilliant. Not only recording all our favourites but can instantly pause any program or instantly record.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    What do you record the TV Program with? I assume it might be on the Sky box.
    We have what is called a DVD recorder which records to a hard drive or a DVD Rom. The great advantage is that we can record one programme on one channel while watching another on another channel. Also, if we are not ready to watch a programme, we record it and can start watching at any time while it is still recording. Very convenient.

We have been recording programmes for many years. We started early in the 1980s when VCRs were new. It was great to be able to record a programme while we were out but it did not have all the advantages of today's recorders. We still have a VCR which is good to watch some of the old home movies we made of the family when they were young.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    We still have a VCR which is good to watch some of the old home movies we made of the family when they were young.
    Might be a good time to start transferring VHS to DVD , your old VCR home movies may start to deteriorate . Or the VCR may just die .
    Just plug the VCR into the DVDr & record away, Couldnt be easier .

I am thinking of ditching Sky and going to Freeview. I would like to purchase a satellite recorder, but looking at some of the reviews on recorders I am not so sure now. Any comments from those who use them, and recommendation please

Smithie

I have had 2 Panasonic ones over the last few years. A couple of months ago the first one went to SWMBO's TV in the family room as the Tivo is ending and I bought another. Both are HDD with Blue ray writers for archiving.

Brilliant machines

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Haven't used one myself, but the Panasonic DMR-HWT260GN seems to be the best option.

Edit - sorry, I see you said satellite. Are you not in a Freeview|HD coverage area?
    Last edited by wratterus; 05-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."