Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HDMI PROBLEM. BLUE RAY PLAYER MODE NOT SUPPORTED BT TV?

Hi. Problem with connecting a Samsung BD-F5500 player to my Samsung PS-42C7H TV. I get a notice onscreen saying "Mode not supported". I searched the 'error' message and am stumped because most say to use the BD Players Remote to go into Settings and change the resolution manually...well I don't know how I can possibly do that because pushing the Menu or Tools buttons on the remote does absolutely nothing, probably because the Player is not 'seen' by the TV.
    I called Samsung NZ and spoke with a technician there who tried to help and had me reset my TV to Factory and get Plug and Play set to have TV connected to my FreeView box again...but...couldn't get the TV to accept the BD player... why do that anyway... if the highest resolution available on the TV is 1080p and the manual for the BD Player states that on first connection of the Player to the TV the player will auto set its output to the Highest available in the TV, which is 1080p. The tech couldn't get it sorted over the phone and has made an appointment to call me on Saturday to continue. This is a bit of a mystery to me why the Player just doesn't Plug n Play

Here is some info and links to the TV and BD Player manuals.
    Search for manual for model Samsung-Ps-42c7s.html#manual and get the munual for Samsung-Ps-42c7h.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/20...7h.html#manual

page 5 gives HDMI/DVI Modes

Supported modes for HDMI/DVI and Component
    HDMI/DVI 50Hz 480i...480p....576i...576p...720p...1080p
    ....................... x ......o.........x.......o........o........o...
    HDMI/DVI 60Hz... x.......o.........x.......x........o........o...

Component All modes are open but the DVD Player doesnt have Component outlet connectors.

BR DVD Manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/79...-Bd-F5500.html

page 9 of manual states as below:

Connections
    Connecting to a TV
    Connect an HDMI cable (not supplied) from the HDMI OUT jack on the back of the product to
    the HDMI IN jack on your TV.
    - Do not connect the power cord to the wall outlet until you have made all the other
    connections.
    - When you change the connections, turn off all devices before you start.
    NOTES

` If you use an HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect to your display device, you must also connect the Digital Audio
    Out on the player to an audio system to hear audio.
    ` An HDMI cable outputs digital video and audio, so you don't need to connect an audio cable.
    ` Depending on your TV, certain HDMI output resolutions may not work. Please refer to the user manual of
    your TV.
    ` When you connect the player to your TV using the HDMI cable or to a new TV, and then turn it on for the
    first time, the player automatically sets the HDMI output resolution to the highest supported by the TV.
    ` A long HDMI cable may cause screen noise. If this occurs, set HDMI Deep Colour to Off in the menu.
    ` To view video in the HDMI 720p, 1080i, or 1080p output mode, you must use a High speed (category 2)
    HDMI cable.
    ` HDMI outputs only a pure digital signal to the TV.
    If your TV does not support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), random noise appears on
    the screen.

As the DVD Player manual states :
    ` Depending on your TV, certain HDMI output resolutions may not work. Please refer to the user manual of
    your TV.
    ` When you connect the player to your TV using the HDMI cable or to a new TV, and then turn it on for the
    first time, the player automatically sets the HDMI output resolution to the highest supported by the TV.

So, then why am I getting the Mode not supported notice on TV screen when the DVD player is supposed to set the HDMI output to the highest supported by the TV and that is given in the TV Manual as being 1080p?

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Default Re: HDMI PROBLEM. BLUE RAY PLAYER MODE NOT SUPPORTED BT TV?

Just to add that the HDMI input on TV is working because I connect my EVGA GT 710 computer Graphics card HDMI output to the HDMI input of the TV without any problems (which I read somewhere in the manuals that it is not recommended to do )

Thanks
    kiotii

Just to add that the HDMI input on TV is working because I connect my EVGA GT 710 computer Graphics card HDMI output to the HDMI input of the TV without any problems (which I read somewhere in the manuals that it is not recommended to do )
    I may have to try a new HDMI Cable... the one I have I purchased from the Warehouse and it is a 3metre, Necessities brand, cost $15.00..... maybe its not up to the job. My neighbour has a 1metre cable she says is high class so I will hit her up for a loan of it today to do a test run with it and if the BD Player comes to life on TV screen, go buy a new cable.
    When I was at the shop where I bought the BD Player I asked to see it working before I bought it because I had returned one I bought the day before because it did nothing but flash the LG logo for 2 seconds and then showed nothing at all...black screen..no show of what the HDMI mode was which did show on neighbors TV with her HDMI Cable but still would not play a DVD...I did notice at the
    shop that the mode that showed on the TV it was connected to was 576i (it was a 24inch Veon TV) and that 576i mode is not supported by the TV I have.... but as already said 720p and 1080p are so..it should function. Hmmmm...scratch head

Thanks
    kiotii
    Last edited by kioti; 05-10-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    .I did notice at the shop that the mode that showed on the TV it was connected to was 576i (it was a 24inch Veon TV) and that 576i mode is not supported by the TV I have....
    the BR may have been setup in its menu for 576i . You may need to reset it ?
    I would just take that BR player back, ask them to plug it into a 1080p TV & show it working
    I would have thought that at least the menu or turn on screen would show , maybee its faulty .

as a test connect the PC @ 1080 to the TV via hdmi (I think you have allready)
    You dont need a fancy pants HDMI cable, a generic cable is OK if short enough (say 1M - 2M) . Fancy cables are often just a scam , there's big profits in those fancy
    cables

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    the BR may have been setup in its menu for 576i . You may need to reset it ?
    I would just take that BR player back, ask them to plug it into a 1080p TV & show it working
    I would have thought that at least the menu or turn on screen would show , maybee its faulty .

as a test connect the PC @ 1080 to the TV via hdmi (I think you have allready)
    You dont need a fancy pants HDMI cable, a generic cable is OK if short enough (say 1M - 2M) . Fancy cables are often just a scam , there's big profits in those fancy
    cables
    1101 thanks. yep I read about the HDMI cable scam...anyway I just tried my neighbours Hi grade HDMI Cable and am still getting the Mode not supported notice onscreen Will connect the Player to her New TV in an hour or so once she's woken properly and see if it plays on that or at least shows the mode the player is sending signal out to her TV... yeah I have connected and use the HDMI fom my PC Graphics card to the HDMI connector of the TV and its fine....As you say the BR may be set up to run 576i but as I showed from the BR Player manual it states that at first connect to TV it sill set itself to the highest Mode of the TV which is 1080p. Frustrating. I will take the player back to the shop this afternoon and ask for it to be connected to a TV in 1080p.... if I could get the damn Menu to show on TV I could reset it to 1080p or even 720p...because nowhere in the TV Set up can I find any setting to allow the specific use of a set Mode. Time will tell and by the end of the day I should know something worthwhile. Thee BR Player does open and play BR Discs because I had that visible at the shop. hmmmm and grrr..... persevere and patience. Think I need a PhD in NewFangled TechGadgets to do the most simplest of things these days...Plug n Pray seems to be the Order of the Fray.
    Cheers
    Last edited by kioti; 05-10-2017 at 09:39 AM.

these things are made as cheaply as possible, so no surprise when they dont work as expected
    My Samsung BR player only works some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    these things are made as cheaply as possible, so no surprise when they dont work as expected
    My Samsung BR player only works some of the time.
    Yep seems like it.... well I am off to the shop to ask some questions and if the store person dont open up the player menu and show me what is is set to as mode and can't change it to 1080p well I want me money back and I will give up on Blue Ray unless of course I go out with me Diners Club Card and purchase a New 3D Smart TV with a 3D BR Player as a complete job lot Home theatre minimum price $5K.

Cheers.

Great Idea I just had...go out buy a BR DVD Optic drive for my PC and that will work perfect with the HDMI from PC to TV
    SOLVED!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by kioti; 05-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.

You'll need software to play blu-ray on PC but yes it'll work, I do it myself.

You could also try connecting your PC monitor to the Blu ray player if it has an HDMI port. Might support more modes than a TV and you won't hurt anything trying.
    It may let you into the menu to set 1080P 50hz
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    You'll need software to play blu-ray on PC but yes it'll work, I do it myself.

You could also try connecting your PC monitor to the Blu ray player if it has an HDMI port. Might support more modes than a TV and you won't hurt anything trying.
    It may let you into the menu to set 1080P 50hz
    dugimodo...thanks... yep i know about having to get software to use BR DVD Optic Drive for my PC. My PC Monitor doesn't have a HDMI input. Its an oldish HPv216 led flatscreen.
    I haven't tried the player in neighbours TV yet to see what the outcome is there and when I went back to the shop with the player and as soon as I said to the assistant that I am getting that Mode not supported notice onscreen he told me that the problem is with my TV and its HDMI Port ort he HDMI Chip/control circuitry and they can't be fixed and that he had the player running in 1080p yesterday when he had it wired up and working in the shop. So I walked out with the intent of trying the player on two or at least 1 other HDMI Capable TV and thinking about buying a new off the shelf BR Player and trying that out to see if it works or not but I couldn't find one cheap enough to use for the test. So I will try on neighbours TV later today.
    I went to a repair store here in Dunedin called Computer Mate and asked questions.... the person was great help said that maybe my Samsung Plasma is too old for the newer BR Players and also maybe HDCP was preventing it opening on screen which I can't believe because there was no DVD or BRD inserted in the player..but what he did say was something about de-interlacing and that could be causing the Mode not Supported...however...at end of the day I still have the Player that will not come to life connected to my TV so now I try the neighbours in an hour or so when she is home and has a spare couple of minutes. But yeah...BR RW Optic Drive for my PC might the the way to go. I am building a newer PC using AMD Ryzen 5 1600, Kingston-hyperx-fury-16gb-ddr4-2666mhz, EVGA or Gigabyte 1050Ti Graphics on a Gygabyte AB350-D3H Mobo,... Silverstone Strider Series ST75F-PT 750W 80Plus Platinum full-Modular PSU and a Corsair MP500 or Samsung 960 Evo SSD still to be purchased.

At present I am running W7x64 Pro on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P, AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8Ghz CPU, 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR3 1866 MHz, EVGA Nvidia GT 710 1GB DDR3 Graphics, CoolerMaster 550W PSU.

https://www.fishpond.co.nz/Electroni...caAv1vEALw_wcB

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...kaAldBEALw_wcB

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=20695
    Last edited by kioti; 05-10-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Well I guess its over,,,tried the BR Player on neighbours Samsung 40 in LED TV and it fired up in full 1080p. So must be a fault in my TV/HDMI connection/circuitry

Thanks all for the input

kioti