Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default Ewwwww! Updates Killed L-Studio!

It said it needed updates.....LOTS of updates........ something like 2586 updates I think.

It said it would take hours.

It took hours.

Then it said it had to clean up all the junk and tgat would takes hours too.

It took a few hours.... Not too many, but a few hours.

It said it needed and would DO a reboot.

It rebooted.

Now my screen says: "Insert system disk" ...... huh?

Now what....because I only have the original CD with L-Studio........

Is THAT'S what it wants? If I put that disk in, won't I just have the old L-version and NO UPDATES then?

When I was a kid, I used to think people could see me through the TV.

I'm beginning to think that again.

Default Re: Ewwwww! Updates Killed L-Studio!

You want your Hair and Makeup done ?? L Studio
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Seems there maybe a problem with your computer finding the bootloader (grub).

The way to fix it though is not as simple as it should be.

Do you want to attempt it? or do you reinstall it?

How many hard drives does that computer have? How many operating systems were you multibooting?

Restoring grub requires booting from the live media, mounting the hard drive, binding the other OS locations (optional), chrooting it then reinstalling grub. We can avoid binding and reupdate grub once we have at least one of your OS booting and it will find the other OS.

That many updates is truly odd, that sounds excessive or in my views, its a bloated system.

I'm really having fun with this.... even if it doesn't sound that way. What happened was incredible to watch....not knowing if things were going to be ok or not. It was !

Now that it's screwed up, I'll probably do a new installation.....so there's nothing lost here and I'm slowly learning new things.

This computer has a single new ... just outta the box........ 500g hdd, and there's nothing on it but L-Studio...... or, more correctly......it WAS the only distro or opsys on it.

(I've got a few more, new 500g Seagate hdds in original sealed antistatic packaging in my secret stash cabinet. Maybe 8 more yet.)

Is grub only used if there's more than one distro on the same computer?

Question....... I've never had but one problem with Puppy, and that was that Puppy can't run a sound card at all......but it was solid and never failed to boot ok. If I put it on this puter first, can I use it to dnld a new, improved version of Studio?

This tower is 64-bit, and maybe i should run something better.... but these Linux distros are supposed to be the answer for old iron....right?

Sometimes a learning curve is nearly vehicle.

I've got recording studio time this morning here in town, and dental appts tomorrow, 58 miles away, and new snow on the ground.....so I may be somewhat silent for a day or two.......but I'm grinnin' and bearin' it in my dreams at least.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You want your Hair and Makeup done ?? L Studio
    That's not hyphenated. It's "L-Studio"....... Not "L Studio"

Boy! Youse guys in Upsidedown Land!

When I was a kid, I used to think people could see me through the TV.

I'm beginning to think that again.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    It said it needed updates.....LOTS of updates........ something like 2586 updates I think.
    Groan! No way is that a normal update ... it sounds like you have somehow attempted to upgrade to the next version of Studio (not the recommended way to upgrade BTW).

There should be a setting in the apt update system to restrict updates to the current version only ... turn off updating to a later version. Although it is possible to update to the next version it's a bit of a gamble, too often it doesn't succeed.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

I got it fixed. A clean install and I just waited for it to request that massive number of updates again.

Then I denied access to the updates and just rebooted a few times and it finally told me it was up to date.

One question.... is there an app to format a her in Studio. (With the hyphen)?

PS .... I HATE this Spellchunker, as I re-read the previous posts of mine..... and...........!#$@&> !
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 05-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.