Thread: E-Mail Alert

Default E-Mail Alert

Anyone throw any light on this message?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E-Mail Alert.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	8272

Iím in Aus at the moment operating from a Telstra ďTĒ Stick into my NZ Clearnet E-Mail account via Thunderbird and can receive E-Mails no problem, but canít send any, even though what Iíve sent is in my sent folder.

Iíve had this trouble before which changing the smtp server from Bigpond to Telstra fixed, but now neither work and I have no idea what the Alert is trying to tell me.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: E-Mail Alert

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/broa...e-email-setup/

You may be out of luck
    Clearnet email is just an old system. Pretty much end of life & Voda are killing it off very soon.

Chances are its a crap shoot to try & get roaming to work with Clear smtp. And some ISPs simply block port 25 that Clear needs

Login to webmail & send via that instead.

Or setup a gmail a/c, as clear email will be phased out soon regardless
    https://www.vodafone.co.nz/email/

just in case, check that your email send settings are setup correctly

or , go to smtp2go , setup a free a/c, and send via that (use smtp2go as the send/smtp)

Appears the problem in short is with clear.net.nz. longer explanation exact same problem, error and location (Aussie) http://community.vodafone.co.nz/t5/M...nz/td-p/128709

You should be able to log onto the webmail and send your mails via that. OR if you have a gmail or some other web based account use instead.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Be nice to know your SMTP settings but the error is coming from the mail server, not your side. You should be able to send mail through any postal service as long as you show proof that you can or you are using their connected service.

Explaining your error message, your mail client greets the server saying HELO or EHLO, the server sounds like it's snobbing you but more than likely, it's sending something other than replying with a hello. Maybe it is a message saying that port 25 is no longer sending mail, use a secure port (SSL/TLS), secure ports are nowadays the norm for mail and you'd be silly not to be using it.

Be nice if Thunderbird did say what it got instead, maybe it does? You could telnet and see what it may have been or sniff the connection and see how it responds.

its because paradise,clear etc emails have had issues with roaming for years now.
    you need to be connected via Voda's internet else it wont work (wont send).

its an old system that never really got bought into the modern world

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/broa...e-email-setup/
    port 25 only
    no ssl support
    big time fail. So last last century .

cant expect too much from email from a company that no longer even exits (ie Clearnet)
    Get a gmail a/c, use that.
    You'll have no choice regardless very soon, clearnet email is due to be killed off soon.
    Last edited by 1101; 15-09-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Guys for your input, and sorry about the delay responding, but Iíve had no Mobile coverage.

Anyway, starting at the top:

1101: Yes Clear is history, and Iíll need to address the problem, but I wasnít planning on doing it right now. As a matter of interest, I tried smtp2go, including every suggested Port, but got exactly the same Alert, and the message in the Sent Items folder.

Wainui: Yep, that guy you linked to had exactly the same problem, but did you notice the Post was dated 2014 so the problem has been around a while. This in turn raises more questions than answers because Iíve been to Aus numerous times between 2014 and now and although having trouble a couple of times the matter was resolved and the rest of the time everything worked fine. This would indicate to me that the problem may not be anything Vodafone has done recently?

Kame: Yes I understand what youíre saying, in short, one server wants to Shake Hands and the other wants to Hongi. I guess, given the history of this problem, one or other is changing the protocol so how do we find which is in vogue?

And just to raise another issue, if I change my E-Mail to say Gmail, can I download and respond to mail through say Thunderbird, as I donít always have Internet coverage and it comes in handy to have correspondence on your own computer, as opposed to a distant server.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    if I change my E-Mail to say Gmail, can I download and respond to mail through say Thunderbird, as I don’t always have Internet coverage and it comes in handy to have correspondence on your own computer, as opposed to a distant server.
    No problems doing this.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

And just to raise another issue, if I change my E-Mail to say Gmail, can I download and respond to mail through say Thunderbird, as I donít always have Internet coverage and it comes in handy to have correspondence on your own computer, as opposed to a distant server.
    As dave answered, shouldn't be a problem. This is because with places like Gmail, Outlook.com you are not associated/tied to any one ISP. You are only signing in to a web based email account, which can have the mail brought through to your device to read at your leisure.

With clear (for example) you are trying to sign into their system using a different ISP ( Normally/possibly) and different country.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer