Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Talking That housing documentary

What you guy think of this.

Kiwi's and foreigners wants to make money right. I don't know one who would sell it less to a more needy family for less. Regarding home grants, can they be sold on the market as much as they can get a couple of years after?

In some places they have public housing which people can lease or buy off the government below market price. Everyone can do it not just low income earners, as long as they don't have other properties etc. Maybe they cannot be sold afterwards for a huge profit as it is government controlled. This can provide housing for some people but not sure if people would like it cos they might think they cannot make big profits. People may still want the open market to get the big gains etc or the nicer properties but this can be an affordable way to provide housing.

Thoughts

Cheers.

Default Re: That housing documentary

define affordable

I dont think housing will ever be affordable to many(most) in Ak
    Can the av Joe really afford $750k for an Ak house ?

even rent. How can av family afford $500 a week in rent ?
    by average I mean those on the mean/median income , ie less than $40K

So....husband was a house owner in the days of State Advances loans.

Govt considered housing roads and education core, 3% over 40 years and 5% deposit.
    Hmm....

So I saw 3 issues I agreed with.

Letting overseas people buy property.
    Getting rid of govt housing (despite the claims of building others)
    The way rentals are viewed here.

Have a german friend so know all about how rental works in various ways there. Can't see it happening here without some kind of legislation.

Friend of mine just bought, a 80sqm particle board box on a 500sqm section for $410,000 in Hamilton.
    They were lucky, the MIL is rich and gave them $160K towards it.

Now, son could afford to pay a mortgage like that, trouble is, A)The deposit B)Prices in Auckland, even out West. I can't give him anything without dying first.

Hobsonville Point was in the news yesterday, I remember that was marketed as First Home Buyer, affordable!!
    Now, the prices are mad....who the hell is buying them?
    And why?

You could buy, for instance, mine for about $580,000. OK it isn't brilliant but you'd get a garage, own drive, in fact an actual drive! a garden and lawn.
    Why live joined to the neighbours and open your front door onto the footpath? Yuk....

Too bad if you don't like the neighbour..

But as to whether anything much will change, probably not....
    wipe your paws.

Wanderer

Taking a step back. I don't think anything would work for NZ. There will always be those who can get into property and those who cannot. Even Hong Kong only has a 50% home ownership.

Romania and China both have like 90% figures, similar to Singapore. NZ is 64% and like some of the other western countries are quite low like France at low 40%.

NZ has a culture of being more independent. Move out of the family home soon after school/ study. But there are other western countries not just eastern countries that has a stronger culture being with the parents. Nothing wrong with that really, some might even prefer to be renting than to stick with the parents more even thou it means they get to save more money.

As to the yuk comment well ok. If I had to decide then I would still stick with apartments and close quarter townhouses. I have done enough travel overseas to see that for many families and the elderly (not just young people) that's how many live. $580K? I am not in Auckland is that the market price now? If so, hey even better. I thought every house in Auckland would had been a min of $750k to an average of $900k least.

I have a friend overseas who is looking to move to NZ, Auckland to live and she's happy to live in an apartment. It's part and parcel. Rental at a $400/week I was told.
    Last edited by Nomad; 13-09-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Kiwi homes for Kiwis! End of story.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    What you guy think of this. Kiwi's and foreigners wants to make money right. I don't know one who would sell it less to a more needy family for less. Regarding home grants, can they be sold on the market as much as they can get a couple of years after? In some places they have public housing which people can lease or buy off the government below market price. Everyone can do it not just low income earners, as long as they don't have other properties etc. Maybe they cannot be sold afterwards for a huge profit as it is government controlled. This can provide housing for some people but not sure if people would like it cos they might think they cannot make big profits. People may still want the open market to get the big gains etc or the nicer properties but this can be an affordable way to provide housing. Thoughts Cheers.
    My brothe has just done this with one of his rentals and gifted a third of the house to a young family he knows to help them get into a house. Some people get their riches through other means then money.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Kiwi homes for Kiwis! End of story.
    Kiwis buy homes overseas too right for retirement

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Kiwis buy homes overseas too right for retirement
    Any country that does not let NZers own property there, that country's people should not be allowed to own property here.
    All other foreigners should have to build a house, not buy existing ones.
    We have been too soft on this and it's time to tighten up.
    FTW

Zippity Fan Club Member prefect's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    So....husband was a house owner in the days of State Advances loans.

Govt considered housing roads and education core, 3% over 40 years and 5% deposit.
    Hmm....

So I saw 3 issues I agreed with.

Letting overseas people buy property.
    Getting rid of govt housing (despite the claims of building others)
    The way rentals are viewed here.

Have a german friend so know all about how rental works in various ways there. Can't see it happening here without some kind of legislation.

Friend of mine just bought, a 80sqm particle board box on a 500sqm section for $410,000 in Hamilton.
    They were lucky, the MIL is rich and gave them $160K towards it.

Now, son could afford to pay a mortgage like that, trouble is, A)The deposit B)Prices in Auckland, even out West. I can't give him anything without dying first.

Hobsonville Point was in the news yesterday, I remember that was marketed as First Home Buyer, affordable!!
    Now, the prices are mad....who the hell is buying them?
    And why?

You could buy, for instance, mine for about $580,000. OK it isn't brilliant but you'd get a garage, own drive, in fact an actual drive! a garden and lawn.
    Why live joined to the neighbours and open your front door onto the footpath? Yuk....

Too bad if you don't like the neighbour..

But as to whether anything much will change, probably not....
    I have been delivering stuff to Hobsonville Point and its practically an all Chinese development. The old airforce people who worked at Hobby before the commie labour government gave it away will be spinning in their graves.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    I have been delivering stuff to Hobsonville Point and its practically an all Chinese development. The old airforce people who worked at Hobby before the commie National government gave it away will be spinning in their graves.
    FTFY