Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    pcsourcepoint

Default Re: cordless or corded chainsaw?

The slim supple guys (from treescape I think) that cut the large pine trees on our property all wore padded leg chaps, and body harnesses, and used all manner of rope knots to "pulley - pull - swing" their chainsaws up and across the 3 rows of trees.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Gasoline and pre-mix.

I love the smell of pre-mix in the morning.

Лучше остановиться на углу крышиЧан в том же доме с сварливой женой.

I use chainsaws all year long - have a total bevy of them in fact. Six or seven on wall storage, four in hard cases and one or two in drawers in my guitar/welding/auto repair garage.

As such - I need to fell, shorten and sometimes pre-split over 8 cords of wood for my winter heating in the house. That usually equals 7 or 8 full grown trees that I can trailer 3 cords at a time - but I don't like to carry that much in my 6'x12'x12' trailer.

I sharpen with my Dremel and their chainsaw stones.

(Training video here)

.... although I don't use a jig for alignment. I have had no problems with free-hand sharpening the chains.

Oh yeah - I use an AC Sine-wave Power Inverter to make 120 VAC electricity for my Dremel, from my 12VDC vehicle battery out in the field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dremel-1453-010.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	8298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41m4p11-SfL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	8299

You recognize that holding a weight in the form of a running chainsaw at arm's length is a really poor, mechanically disadvantageous position - right?

Not to say that I cannot make a mistake and cut off something important from my catalog of body parts - but if one RESPECTS instead of FEARS a chainsaw - one will be many times more apt to not get into trouble.

But it DOES happen!

I've a friend who capped off one of his knees - which the chainsaw merrily chewed up so it could not be re-planted on his leg. (As if that was an option anyway)

A sharp chain, full throttle and a correctly adjusted carburetor for 4-cycle at full throttle, no load - to a genuine real 2-cycle trill while cutting under load.

Two hands on the saw at all times - no 'ape-hanging' while cutting!

Safety goggles (I like yellow lo-viz types), chaps if you have them - or at least heavy denims - steel toe boots, must be good fitting - long sleeved shirt, chambray if you have them - ear protection - and decent respect for the saw.

BTW: set the brake for the chain when it isn't actually cutting wood - like when you have to move to another foothold or piece of wood - so that if you slip, it won't be into a running meat-eater.

Be careful down there.

If you accidentally cut off your prehensile tail so you can't hang on, you'll fall off of Upsidedown Land.

Ya know - and I do a LOT of chainsaw tune-ups and repairs here for what was a few neighbors and has now become many blocks of actual customers - is that I don't like to work on Stihl equipment. They have really small parts and they use what I call "Jeez Clips" on the throttle linkage.

(eg: "Jeez.... now where did that linkage clip fly off to?")

The Huskys, OTOH - use "Z-bend" linkage that won't fly away or drop into the debris under your feet when you need to make a field repair.

The fuel line exit/entries from the tank into the plenum are just horrible engineering on the Stihls - but must better on the Huskys.

Chain adjustments on a Stihl - well, you know where THAT goes too!

So - I personally own (proudly so) a few Huskys, a few Poulons and an itinerant Craftsman or two too.

My wife is - all the time - finding a new chainsaw in the bushes as she walks the dog. Yup! She found three so far.

There's NO chance of returning them to the rightful owner by placing an ad in the paper or internet - 'cause there'd be three hundred guys on the front lawn fist-fighting each other to try to describe the chainsaw that she found.

I tried that once with a Husky weed trimmer that fell off a gardener's truck. The day after the notice was posted about finding a trimmer, I had several dozen guys - some who didn't speak English (King's or NZ) fighting over who would go first to describe the trimmer.

I learned that lesson!

Sad but true - some people would try to lie, cheat or fight their way into ownership of something they think they can illicitly procure for themselves.

Older by the minute

Good to have you back Joe. Always love your dissertations. Always informative and amusing.

Agree, welcome back Joe.....

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen