Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queen Charlotte Drive - good way to go?

Roscoe - you may get an idea of the twisty nature of the road from this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4vtYLQLIc

Towards the end of the episode you will see the owner drive his house bus (which looks like an ex Birkenhead bus) from Havelock through to Momorangi Bay. He says it was a bit hairy...

I have driven a 6 metre campervan from Picton to Momorangi Bay and back, and SWMBO didn't enjoy it, though I thought it was fine.

The first time I did the trip it was called the Grove Track, and it was shingle in those days (I was 16 at the time and I am now 72). We rode from Picton to Pelorus Bridge in one day on heavily laden bikes with 3 speed Sturmer Archie(?) gears. It is still a beautiful part of the country.

Thanks very much for that, John. If he can drive a Birkenhead bus down there, we should not have to much of a problem with our Ford Transit van. We shall give it a go.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

When I was working for a well known bright orange store in Nelson I was sending truck loads of building materials to Momorangi Bay campsite for one of our builder clients so a Transit is no problem. Of course now I live further south

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Thanks very much for that, John. If he can drive a Birkenhead bus down there, we should not have to much of a problem with our Ford Transit van. We shall give it a go.
    We have a Ford Tragic as well. Ex Kea rental. I notice in a subsequent video on You Tube that he drove the ex Birkenhead Bus to Picton, so I guess he went all the way on the Grove Track (whoops, whatever it is now called!). I guess he gave oncoming traffic a bit of a scare...