Thread: Fibre Broadband

Default Fibre Broadband

In the last few days, Underground Brown, a contractor to Enable Networks has laid fibre in the street outside our house. Because our adsl connection seldom reaches 5gps down, and 1 up, with vdsl apparently unavailable because of distance from the exchange, and as we want to explore using Netflix etc. we have been waiting for this. I understand the process of getting fibre to the house, but don't know quite what to expect inside the house. I think that within the house copper continues to be used.

The present copper line is underground from a service pole at the street boundary and passes under the foundation to the part of the house behind the basement garage. I think that the fibre would terminate on foundation wall near the existing copper line. I assume that the existing copper could then be connected the fibre termination box. The copper is connected to 3 telephones, 1 fixed and 2 portable, to a WiFi router/modem, and it was also connected to the old Sky decoder. We want to continue to use all the phones, which I understand requires a UPS, but am not sure where it goes in the system.

Can anyone confirm that I have this right, or correct anything that needs it, and answer me regarding the UPS?

brucem

Default Re: Fibre Broadband

Afaik, no copper wiring is involved. The fibre is terminated in your house with an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) box. This connects to your Modem which your internet provider will supply. You don't necessarily need a UPS unless you want one. Your phone line will be connected to the VOIP on the Modem, this service you will lose in the event of a power outage. If you have a cordless phone connected, it won't work anyway because it relies on a power connection. If you have a St John medical alarm, the setup needs to be slightly different and you will need to explain this to your Fibre provider.

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Thanks for your reply, the reason that I want to retain the fixed phone is that after our 2011 earthquake we lost power for some time and cell phones were overloaded so the fixed phone was our only means of communication.

Brucem

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    I

. The copper is connected to 3 telephones, 1 fixed and 2 portable, to a WiFi router/modem, and it was also connected to the old Sky decoder. We want to continue to use all the phones, which I understand requires a UPS,
    Your phone plugs into the ONT.

If you have multiple actual phones, you can do one of two things.
    Change it to a phone + handsets instead.
    Or ask them wire the jackpoints back to the ONT. They will do this and install provision for it anyway.

You don't need any UPS...what for? Phones nowdays all plug into power and if there is a power cut are dead....no different now.
    I guess if the ONT goes down for whatever reason, same thing but so?

Use mobile meanwhile.

I have 2 phones, one an old school bell phone, both are plugged into the ONT with a double adapter.

I have the bell phone for husband to be able to hear the ring...
    wipe your paws.

In some areas I've heard the installers have only installed a jackpoint near the ONT and not wired it to the rest of the house. It's not that difficult to fix and would take any decent installer just a few minutes so I'd make sure you ask them about it while they are there.
    Basically you have to disconnect the copper line coming in from the street and replace it with the line coming out of the ONT which can feed back in the other direction no problem.

Good to hear there is enough power to drive a bell phone, they take a bit of ring current compared to other phones so if that works any phone should.

Pays to be home and to make sure they put things where you want, they should send a scoper out to discuss it with you first but you should have a think where you want everything. The fibre terminates on the outside of the house somewhere in a wall mounted box, then runs from there to the inside of the house where an ONT is installed. The ONT requires a mains outlet to power it. Then there is the router which connect to the ONT with a CAT 5 cable and also needs a power point.

So what you need is a place where you can mount an ONT on the wall, and a place for a router nearby or a way to get a cat 5 cable to where you want it, and a double power point or multiboard, and finally if you want to connect it to your phone wiring it should be near an existing jackpoint otherwise you'll need a cable to the nearest jackpoint and I'm not sure if they will do that or not. Also if you want wired ethernet you need a way to get that from the router to whatever device.

Not really as complicated as it sounds, and you get wi-fi from the router as well. I had mine installed in the corner of my lounge and put the router on the cabinet beneath the TV, then I have a CAT 5 cable under the floor to my office where the PC is. I used to feed internet to the lounge from the office over that cable, now I feed it back the other way. I don't have phone service on my fibre, just internet and I use a cellphone.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    In some areas I've heard the installers have only installed a jackpoint near the ONT and not wired it to the rest of the house. I
    That's right.,
    You must ask if you want that done, then they will.
    I got the jackpoint even though I said I have no intention of using the jackpoints ever again, it's a requirement apparently.

Friend asked for hers to be rewired so they came back and did it after.
    wipe your paws.