Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: vodafone dropping email service

Having a clear.net address could be construed as being "with Vodafone." IOW they are providing a service and I am a customer.
    Last edited by worl; 09-09-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Wanderer

Well email is still the way right. I don't imagine many companies or the govt, banks, lawyers will be using IM software and attaching a document to you instead.

The article says up to 250k customers affected, they have stopped issuing new customers email addresses now, a no. of ISPs have done also. Customers pay $100/month, let's say $20 profit per month, they won't spend that much per customer to fix it right ... that's 1/12 (month) wiped out for them.

I've been with Clear.net for 20yrs I have migrated most of mine to Gmail. I still use my own one for more professional stuff. I also have my parents to fix up they are retired and then help their retired family and friends to change it too, they reside in NZ and overseas. Thinking if I should get a domain name ...

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    I'd rate it as a major pain in the a. But at least the mail forwarding option gives some lea-way in terms of the time needed to sort it out (but it also means they'll forward 100% of the spam to users new email addresses as well).

Like most people posting on the Stuff article, I see it as the loss of the only thing holding me to Vodafone's services, so once I sort out a new email and get all associated contacts using it, then I'm free to shop willy-nilly with any and all ISPs. This should ultimately cost VF heavily in terms of their user base, and frankly, I'm hoping it hurts them heaps.

As for spam, I've had almost zero on my main ihug email, and only small amounts on my oldest, largely redundant ihug email account.
    On Geekzone the Vodafone guy said it will be filtered.

This whole process could actually backfire for Vodafone and actually cause more problems.

Once a new (or existing) email account is used, with Vodafone forwarding All the email, including spam mails they claim they cant get on top of, I wonder how long it will take for gmail/Outlook to blacklist the domain names paradise.net.nz, clear.net , ihug etc.

Their spam filters "may" kick in if they get hit with millions of mails from the domains, and auto blacklist, that way no-one will get any mails.

Hence the comment previously:
    Sometime in the near future ( a year or so) they contact again and say as of XX date we will no longer be forwarding emails.
    Lots of people are panicking over nothing, the incoming mails will still work after the 30th November, just have to use the new email address to send.

"IF" using webmail - nothing changes at all, except you will get your Vodafone mails as well.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-09-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Wanderer

Wainui - for those who are long time paradise, ihug, clear.net customers but are not active paying customers - would they have their emails stopped then? I know some who have been dialup customers, still have an account but have not dialed in obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by worl View Post
    Having a clear.net address could be construed as being "with Vodafone." IOW they are providing a service and I am a customer.
    Vodafone own the following domain names, which are closing:

Vodafone email services that will be closing:
    clear.net.nz
    es.co.nz
    ihug.co.nz
    paradise.net.nz
    pcconnect.co.nz
    quik.co.nz
    vodafone.co.nz
    vodafone.net.nz
    wave.co.nz
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Lots of people are panicking over nothing, the incoming mails will still work after the 30th November, just have to use the new email address to send.

"IF" using webmail - nothing changes at all, except you will get your Vodafone mails as well.
    As long as you are "with Vodafone." Whatever that is intended to mean. I imagine they intend it to mean that the forwarding service is only for bill paying customers, But this is far from clear.

Quote Originally Posted by worl View Post
    As long as you are "with Vodafone." Whatever that is intended to mean. I imagine they intend it to mean that the forwarding service is only for bill paying customers, But this is far from clear.
    Vodafone owns/ brought clear on 31st October 2012, they , so you are with Vodafone. If you weren't you wouldn't have gotten the email.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Vodafone owns/ brought clear on 31st October 2012, they , so you are with Vodafone. If you weren't you wouldn't have gotten the email.
    But does need to be a paying customer on a monthly basis. I know some still on dialup but haven't dialed in.

I am not a paying Vodafone customer. I was on dialup with Clear and still use that email address at times.