Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry My Freeview box is playing up in a serious and very annoying way

Hello forum,

This issue started several days ago.

It only happens with the TVNZ1 channel and not the TVNZ1+1, TVNZ2, TV3, Prime TV channels that come through the box.

First technical issue:

The TVNZ1 channel shows no subtitles when it appears, and,

..... this brings up the Second technical issue.....:

The screen goes green after ten mins of screening.

Would any of you be able to tell me what's causing these two technical issues which are annoying me a lot Old age of the Freeview box's electronics? Changed channel signals? I notice the TVNZ1+1 subtitles look newer and different from the TVNZ1 subtitles.

A subsidiary issue is that when I turn HDMI mode on to show a Freeview channel, the screen says "Please don't turn off TV", it's doing something like scanning or something else? I'd have to replicate this action to write down the exact message and tell you what it is.

Your help in diagnosing and sorting these technical issues would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Barry.

Default Re: My Freeview box is playing up in a serious and very annoying way

These things are cheap & nastily built . Some brands were never that reliable
    Also often run far too hot, thats never a good thing for internal electronics . make sure nothing is on top of it so it can get good cooling

"green" on TV1 : sounds like you really may need to buy a new one. Or reset it & setup from scratch (rescan for channels etc)

Some do firmware updates every now & then, that could be the do not turn off message (I get that on mine when its updating)

Our Freeview box went green after a while as well (on multiple channels), and we just went and got a new one.

Zippity Fan Club Member prefect's Avatar

I had one die someone suggested it had bad caps.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

It is obviously the devilish Green Party political advertising. Selecting either red, blue or black might solve the problem. Ken
    (Sorry, couldn't resist that)

You have neglected to mention which freeview box it is that you have ? is it satellite or UHF?
    model and brand?

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    You have neglected to mention which freeview box it is that you have ? is it satellite or UHF?
    model and brand?
    Sorry for the delayed reply and not specifying the type of Freeview box. The Freeview box is a G7503-DSE HD digital terrestrial receiver which I bought from the DSE Newmarket shop for about $240 in 2008. Imagine my exasperation and frustration to find all these instructions and it asking for a PIN number which I luckily guessed and my elation and delight when I got it going smoothly, banishing the totally bad VHF reception on my TV in Central Auckland. So it's been going for nine years till this current problem. Of course you folks will know DSE is no longer in business.

I have just tested the box again. Tried auto scanning to make the problem go away but to no avail. Subtitles are still not showing and the green screen of "malfunction" shows up after a bit of time :-*

What other options can I try before coming to the point of replacing the box with its successor?

Thanks,
    Barry.

I would say it's done well lasting this long.
    Not your first problem with it either
    http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthr...e-Freeview-box

Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    The Freeview box is a G7503-DSE HD
    God help us, its a rebadged Zinwell. Its rubbish
    I threw mine away even though it was still working .
    The newer boxes are honestly so much better. I was shocked to see just how much better a picture a newer freeveiw box gives.

after a merge 10 years of use, you'll need to go & spend some money on a new one. You might get something used & cheap off trademe as many new TV's now have freeveiw
    built in

Noel Leeming still have Freeview boxes available.