Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anything to trump Trend Micro?

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    If Trend can deal out Trump I'm in.
    Don't bother with paid AV myself,
    I just use a combo of Windows Defender/Security Essentials, occasional scans with Malwarebytes, Eset online scanner, etc and a healthy dose of common sense.
    That's my exact strategy also.
    But if I was going to pay for something it would be NOD32 - just the AV I see no need for a "security suite"
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Are NOD still offering the cheaper crossgrade option ?
    Yep they sure are, do it sometimes when people have a paid AV and change to Nod.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Thumbs up for ESET products!

I use their SMart Security product on all my machines, top notch and not heavy on resources.

Anything by ESET in my opinion is better than Trend.

Asus P8Z77-VL X
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V Plus CPU Water Cooler
    32GB DDR3
    2 x 250GB SSD, 3 x 2TB WD Enterprise HDD
    Asus DVD/RW
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970
    Coolermaster Centurion Case & 550W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro

not as far as I'm concerned as been protecting my pc's since 2000 without any infection so I reckon it rocks......I know some here don't like it but my experience has been all positive.....and yes I use the other stuff talked about on these forums also to verify it's detection's etc..

i have used bitdefender for about 7 years now. Without any problems.
    But it was a paid version
    Now i am trying kaspersky free version for one year and so far so good.
    Everybody talks about NOD but actually it isn't in the top 3 antivirus apps every month-year https://www.av-comparatives.org/.
    Nod, norton,McAfee and trend micro are readily available in stores and NOD is better than the other 2 so that's why people say its so good.
    Thats what i think anyway

Quote Originally Posted by stevenrossvanduyn View Post

Everybody talks about NOD but actually it isn't in the top 3 antivirus apps every month-year https://www.av-comparatives.org/.
    Nod, norton,McAfee and trend micro are readily available in stores and NOD is better than the other 2 so that's why people say its so good.
    Thats what i think anyway
    NO antivirus is perfect.

As for lab tests Waste of time, I've proven many times over the years how inconsistent they are and can be easily manipulated . They CANNOT replicate real world usage by the average user.

Seen it many times, people who had Trend Micro, install something like Nod32, as well as run other antimalware and find infections, often Trojans not just PUPS.

Sure Nod misses some as well -- going back to the comment "NO antivirus is perfect".

Seen Trend completely ruin internet connections and bring what should be reasonably quick PC's to a standstill.

A lot of people never configure anything to make it work better, they even say so in the link provided
    These tests evaluate the suites “real-world” protection capabilities with default settings
    -- They CANT replicate real world usage no matter how hard they try. They even admit it in the results published.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test_Result.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	8232

In other words all our testing actually means only take it as a rough guide.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

your comment is just what I needed Wainuitech. Almost 12 months ago I had W10 installed by a local "techy" friend, he recommended Trend Micro. Nothing wrong with TM in the past 12 months. I'm cautious and would re-use TM, cost "Current RRP: $79.95
    Your renewal price: $69.95," but would appreciate your recommendation and/or suggestions. Have others, Malwarebytes, adwcleaner, CCleaner. No problems with these as well, some suggest them a waste of space

Quote Originally Posted by advena View Post
    My yearly sub for Trend Micro Internet Security is running out and I need to renew PQ. However, costs being what they are, I'm looking at my options. Have checked out the ESet Internet Security but that costs even more.
    So, just wondering if any readers have had recent experience of any of the current freebies and can tell me if any are worth looking at at the moment. Many thanks
    Update from 19 Sept. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. As it turned out I went right back to Trend Micro anyway. I had been satisfied with its performance but am always conscious of pricing. However, got a great deal with a combination of TrendMicro's own cashback offer and my Goldcard discount. (love you Winston!) so all is sorted for another year. Thanks again.