Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm standing outside your room right now.

Default Can you ring during power outage while connected to fibre optic?

Hi.

Can someone give an answer or explanation regarding a power outage in a residential area using fiber optics? The thing is, I experienced one early this morning where a part of my street was in total darkness with no power for street lighting, homes etc. The thing that took me by surprise was that I wasn't able to use my older touch dial phone to ring out?

Now when I talk about the older touch phones, I mean those that require no power source like you would need for hands free or phones that require charging. Is my fibre optic cable connected to my house in anyway related to why I can no longer dial out? (where a dial tone cannot be heard)

I've done this in the past with previous black outs while on a different, broadband, dial plan and calling people, work, emergency on phone with no problems. This is the first time for me I have experienced a black out since upgrading to fibre and unable to dial out (with a tone that can be heard).

cheers

Ps I know there are cell phones we can also use in emergency, but then again if your cellphone is no longer usable, or dies you are more or less busted if you can't ring out, or ring emergency services.

Default Re: Can you ring during power outage while connected to fibre optic?

Think you have answered your own question.

But simple short answer - No wont work. Maybe if you had a UPS that powers the ONT and router it may.

Longer answer (overseas site but same principle) what-expect-during-power-outage-fiber-home and Is-your-VOIP-phone-system-ready-for-a-Power-outage
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-08-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by undiejuice View Post
    no power The thing that took me by surprise was that I wasn't able to use my older touch dial phone to ring out?
    because with fibre it's connected to the ONT, which does require power.
    before it was plugged into the copper directly.
    wipe your paws.

If it bothers you get a UPS like Wainui mentioned, only a very small one is needed but you may want to check it has a way to disable the alarm or you may get some very annoying beeping during a power outage.

A short explanation:
    Old telephones/land lines traditionally are powered by 50V DC fed down the copper line from the telephone network which has it's own backup power so it keeps going for a while when the power is out (usually quite a long time)
    With fibre you no longer use the copper line so the 50V DC is supplied by the equipment in your house which gets it's power from the mains so naturally it stops working when the power is out.

It has occurred to me most routers & ONTs and network hardware etc run off 12VDC which had me considering a 12V backup - but I can't be bothered and I have other ways of powering up my gear if I need it.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

+1

I had the same thing here. I've got one of those phones with power back-up where you could use it if power went off. But that was when I was on DSL. Now. I'm on fibre, it doesnt work.

But you could probably give it some juice. It only needs something that supplies 5.5v @ 500 mA

Got a Uniden Dect 6.0 that has some Battery backup when the power goes out but only lasts about 20 minutes

Might connect it up to the UPS ,can see it going a lot longer with it's minimal power draw

I'm standing outside your room right now.

Thanks guys for your help.

Golden Oldie

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Think you have answered your own question.

But simple short answer - No wont work. Maybe if you had a UPS that powers the ONT and router it may.

Longer answer (overseas site but same principle) what-expect-during-power-outage-fiber-home and Is-your-VOIP-phone-system-ready-for-a-Power-outage
    In Australia, those who have migrated to the Fibre to the Home NBN, are advised to install a battery back up power unit to ensure continuing phone connectivity during a power outage If one goes with the right internet provider ( not Telstra) the back-up power unit is part of the deal not a pay for extra.

Quote Originally Posted by b.... View Post
    I suspect you'll be better off with one of these rather than a UPS with all it's overheads..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company