Default using 2-pin fan from power supply in 3-pin motherboard plug.

Hey there everyone,
    Those of you who remember, my computer gave up last month, with a new motherboard killing the computer.

Thanks to that, my power supply blew up, meaning that I have to fork out (tomorrow) for a new power supply. I'm getting a new 300W one to keep it happy.

What I'm wondering, can I take the fan out of my dead powersupply, and put in in my case? The fan only has two plugs, but all the places for fans on my motherboard have three pins - is it necessary to use these three pins, or is one of them there for no purpose?

Thanks alot,
    Jonathan Giles

Default Re: using 2-pin fan from power supply in 3-pin motherboard plug.

Jonathan,

It's not the best practice in the world to plug things in where they don't belong. In your case the you'll probably find that the two outer pins are the one that you need, so your 2 pin connector won't be any good. As an alternative for a keen enthusiast, cut off the 2 pin connector and splice the wires into the one of the power connectors that you would plug into an IDE such as a Hard drive or CD-ROM. This is generally safer as you won't fry your motherboard!

Yes, you can use the right hand and centre-pin to provide 12 volts for a fan equiped with a 2 pin connector. You can check, carefully, with a D C volt meter.
    The third pin is not normally an ornament, it is often concerned with monitoring, which in this instance you will have to do without.
    I have reconditioned power supply fans and used these to suck air into ATX cases.
    You still need a good heatsink and fan for the CPU, but the in-case ambient air temperature is lowered, and this is worthwhile. Thus the air used by the CPU cooler has a lower starting temperature.

Thanks alot,
    so if I go without hardware monitoring, I can use this fan as is.

Next question: Where is the best place to position a fan like this? I am buying a new case tmw, and I doubt there is any reasonable spacing for air circulation, add to that the fact the cable isn't too long and there is little I can imagine I could do.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks alot,
    Jonathan Giles