Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VDSL

Default VDSL

Evening people, I am considering upgrading to VDSL and have a question or two.

I understand that I will need a new modem and my landline phone will then plug into that. Currently we have caller ID and pay an extra monthly fee for it. I read somewhere that VDSL allows smartphone features so does this mean caller ID is enabled automatically with no extra charge?

We are also considering dropping the landline but I am unsure whether the price is reduced much for this. If the phone is plugged into the modem I would have thought the phone would then not incur an extra charge?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Computer Tech

Default Re: VDSL

There is a service called 'Naked' DSL where you pay for an internet connection but a normal phone line is not included in the monthly fee.
    It's usually about $10 cheaper per month to get a 'Naked' DSL plan compared to an internet plan that includes a normal phone line.

You can get a VoIP phone line, which allows you to make normal calls over the internet but you do have to pay an extra fee for this.
    A VoIP phone line will usually include things like voicemail, caller ID, and call waiting, at no extra cost, but you would need to check that with your VoIP provider.
    A popular VoIP provider in NZ is 2talk.

You can do what CYaBro suggests or you can just keep your normal phone line, depends who your provider is. VDSL is still copper and still uses filters and you can still keep a normal landline if you want to.
    The only reason the phone would plug into the modem is if you choose a provider that uses VoIP instead on a conventional landline, if your phone is with spark they don't normally do that.

It is how fibre works though, maybe someone was confused.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

You first have to decide what you will be using VDSL for. If you are just using your computer for Emails or reading the newspapers etc then ADSL (or derivatives) would be sufficient.
    The next thing to consider is what sort of plan you are currently on, how much bandwidth you use every month, if you intend watching things like You Tube or streaming of On Demand Movies or TV etc then obviously you will need more bandwidth so the costs will increase.

The next thing to consider is whether you can actually get VDSL, in other words how far from the Exchange or Cabinet you are depends whether VDSL is viable or not.
    Most ISP's have address checkers that will show that you may be able to get VDSL, there are no absolute guarantees though as it can also depend on the distance and also the makeup of the cable and its condition.
    If the checker says you can and you go ahead with the install your ISP will arrange for the install, and then will see at the end if it is ok or not and revert to ADSL if not suitable for VDSL.

A dedicated Outlet is required for the VDSL so the installer will install a master filter (Splitter) somewhere near the External Termination Point (ETP) near where the line comes into your house and either run a new cable (or use the existing cable if no phone required).

If a Landline phone is still required the installer will sort out the cabling for that.
    Caller ID and other services are still available, I believe some ISP's charge extra for that whether on VDSL, ADSL, or even Fibre (UFB).
    I find that older people prefer to call a landline rather than a cell phone because of the costs involved in making a call, it also applies for businesses etc.

You dont need VOIP as even though it has been suggested the modem supplied (depending on the ISP) may not support VOIP so there would be extra costs involved buying additional equipment and perhaps using something like 2talk VOIP

Whether you use ADSL or VDSL I would recommend you also have a Wiring Maintenance Contract (if you dont all ready)

If it was me I would consider changing to UFB as this is the way forward.
    You have to consider though whether you have any medical alarm or other alarm that requires a landline phone.
    If you change to UFB the the alarm companies may have to replace some equipment
    There again some ISP's will supply a phone line, some charge extra for it and others dont, the same applies to Caller ID etc.

I had put a spreadsheet together 2-3 tears ago when deciding to go UFB comparing the prices of all ISP's and their offerings, Naked, Phone etc.
    It helped me decide whether to change to UFB, VDSL or stay with ADSL2+. I changed to UFB.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I will need to contact my ISP for more details but I read somewhere that to have a phone on VDSL with them it needs to be plugged in to the modem and all national calls will be free so it sounds like it is VOIP. Not sure if I want that as when relatives in Aussie phone using VOIP there is a second or so lag whilst talking which is annoying. Is that what I can expect for all my calls if I go on to VOIP? I will stick with my landline if that is the case.

Most VOIP does not lag, that's generally caused by hopping in and out of different networks. For example using Skype to call a landline - your call gets routed via the internet and then has to exit the cloud and connect into the telephone network - that last step is where the lag happens. I have used Skype which is VOIP to have 3-4 way calls between east and west Australia, Germany, and the US with no perceptible lag on multiple occasions over the last couple of years. Dedicated VOIP phone services really should have minimal lag in most cases.

The humble landlines days are numbered, over the next few years the old phone network is likely to migrate onto the internet. It's already begun in many areas but you may not have even noticed as they use hardware that interfaces with the broadband equipment directly and generates a normal copper landline from the cabinet/exchange to your home. Quite a few people are probably already using VOIP without even knowing it. That said you can absolutely keep your landline with VDSL.

Our telephone exchanges were installed in the early-mid eighties and are something like 20 years past the designed lifespan originally envisioned. They won't be replaced with new exchanges for the most part, instead the phone service just becomes another part of the internet and disappears as a separate network.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Who is your current ISP and whereabouts in the country are you?

Cheers dugimodo, that's a really helpful explanation. I am kind of thinking ahead being aware that the landline days are numbered but also know that technology is improving all the time so if it isn't a huge advantage to switch now then I am happy to wait until I have to jump. It looks like the only reason to stay on ADSL is to get my money's worth out of the new modem that I bought just nine months ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Jedsdad View Post
    Who is your current ISP and whereabouts in the country are you?
    We are with Voyager and our area has recently been upgraded to VDSL so they are offering a free upgrade for the same monthly fee as our current ADSL. It is uncapped and with free national phone calls which we currently pay toll fees for. We don't have fibre or anything else in our area yet so that isn't an option.

Will the modem you bought also support VDSL?
    What is its make and model number?

I note the Modem supplied by Voyager only uses the basic Wifi 802.11n single speed, your modem may well have better Wifi.

I also note you have to rent or buy their router if you want Smart Homeline.

If it was me I would stick with the existing landline for now but still upgrade to VDSL if they will let you do just that and also that your existing modem supports VDSL
    Hopefully you do not have to sign a new contract with them for this, otherwise stick with ADSL for now

I would also be investigating other ISP and their options to see if you can get a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Evening people, I am considering upgrading to VDSL and have a question or two.

We are also considering dropping the landline but I am unsure whether the price is reduced much for this. If the phone is plugged into the modem I would have thought the phone would then not incur an extra charge?

If you mean you were paying for copper / if you were paying for the phone when it plugged into the phone jack.

Ring your ISP. They should kill it / stop charging you for it

I asked Vodafone the same question when I changed to Fibre. I dont use the jack, the phone plugs into the back of the modem. They stopped charging me for the copper line / jack. Since there is nothing plugged into it

I can still use caller ID (it was extra (not part of my plan), so had to pay a few dollars more