Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Hands off my plastic Bags !

In Singapore, fines can reach $1,000 for first time offenders and littering fines range from $300 to $1,000 for first time offenders. Both fines rise up to $5,000 for third-time offenders with the possibility of facing jail time.
    When I arrived in Singapore in 1971 I remember a local telling me how he was fined $500 for throwing a cigarette butt on the ground
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

Do we still have huge stockpiles of used plastic, collected in recycling bins, that no one has a use for
    I remember in Ak some years back they had masses of the stuff they just had to put into storage

A lot of 'recycleables' goes overseas to 3rd world countries . Just shifting the issue elsewhere .
    Recycling isnt as green & clean as we want to believe. Its a dirty messy industry .
    A company I used to work for, recycling a certain product, expected me to tip their waste into storm water drains. They presented themselves as 'green', with dolphins on their logo
    So much for clean & green.

Yes, I think we should be told EXACTLY what happens to all the stuff that we "re-cycle".

How much is actually used and how is it used and what does it cost.
    Eg glass bottles and plastic.
    What happens to all the tvs and phones we re-cycle.
    What about types and batteries?

Where could find this out from?
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Yes, I think we should be told EXACTLY what happens to all the stuff that we "re-cycle".

Where could find this out from?
    Start with google, heres a few examples;

http://www.makethemostofwaste.co.nz/...-my-recycling/

http://www.recycle.co.nz/consequences.php

https://www.batterysolutions.com/rec...ries-recycled/
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    They don't really rot...they do become brittle and break up into very small pieces, all plastic does that.

Used for rubbish or not, how do you know what happens to them after your bin has been collected? I've seen plastic bags blowing around at the tip....
    We have enough pollution now....it is possible to make similar stuff from biodegradable materials, corn for instance.
    But I guess it's cost....

And we know the world runs on cheap for the manufacturer...
    We did manage before plastic, even I remember paper rubbish bags, and paper supermarket bags.
    I agree, pctek. I use a couple of shopping bags like the one pictured. Reuseable, that is the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shopping bag 004.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	8163  

pcsourcepoint

There is little profit for packaging companies making and selling recycled cases in NZ. No major produce exporter will really use them. Generally used in low end local consumer packaging, of which short term storage and NZ short transport distance was not an issue Then there are variant's of how much percentage to be used. The more recycled - the weaker the box or tray in stacking. Little bit of moisture they bulge, and collapse easily. Also could not print well and no high end graphics - since too porous.

We also discovered no NZ paper mill would divulge how much percent recycled fiber were used in paper rolls unless if "near" 100 %. We believed (as paper converters) small percentage recycled was used in "virgin" Kraft paper but was marketed as virgin.

So we made very strong "powerply" boxes, which could stack for months in cool stores before being exported. Problem was....reduced customer's demand to buy more - since they could reuse them, meaning less sales. Also created a large secondary market with recycled companies buying reused cases (I use to stack and rack 100's weekly, which is all good but some export companies wanted their print masked on the cases or mashed to pulp at Penrose recycle mill. Some cases ended in violent overseas TV shows/movies carrying munitions with a well known NZ produce name visible on the case
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 19-07-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Hawaii
    Could you please tell me where that photo was taken, so that I can go and get them, as I am running out of bags here at home
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    There is little profit for packaging companies making and selling recycled cases in NZ.

So we made very strong "powerply" boxes, which could stack for months in cool stores before being exported. Problem was....reduced customer's demand to buy more - since they could reuse them,
    This is the issue.
    Money.

Back in Victorian times, people were far "greener'. Everything was recycled, bottles, cloth, bones....rang and bone man...
    Saw a doco on it...not just that, but that part of the doco was really interesting.

The economy has become buy, buy, buy or the wheels fall off....so everything is made to last 5 minutes, or marketed that way anyway....
    wipe your paws.

Yes I often wonder if the cost in power etc to remake say cardboard into new boxes etc is worth it.
    Factor in the extracting of sellotape, paint, glue etc.
    We have lots of wood in this country to make cardboard from.

I don't want to use paper supermarket bags, they tear and spill etc. And if you take your own bags what if you take too many or not enough!
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Yes I often wonder if the cost in power etc to remake say cardboard into new boxes etc is worth it.

Power? Yes.
    And re-use things.

See today's news:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/bet...n-in-the-world

More than 9 billion tonnes of plastic has been produced since 1950, and the vast majority of it is still around.

A new study that tracked the global manufacture and distribution of plastics since they became widespread after World War II found that only 2 billion tonnes of that plastic is still in use. Seven billion tonnes is stuck on Earth as garbage in landfills, recycled trash or pollution in the environment, including deep oceans, where it's been discovered in the mouths of whales and the bellies of dead seabirds that mistook it for food. A small amount is eliminated in incinerators.

As plastic becomes near-indestructible mountains of garbage on land and swirling vortexes of trash on the high seas, humans keep making more. Half of the plastic that people mostly use once and toss away was created in the past 30 years, the study says.
    wipe your paws.