Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VDSL Issue

Default Re: VDSL Issue

If you think the problem is with Spark's modem, get them to replace it. I have been using their free modem for years now without major issues. I did encounter some problems in the early days - many years ago but now I found their free modem is pretty good for normal use. I wouldn't spend $300+ for an item which I can get it for free.

Talk to Spark again and get them to replace the modem. What have you got to lose? A brand new modem will be at your door step in 2 ~ 3 days. It's FREE.
    Last edited by bk T; 17-07-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Out of the two modems you've got there, I'd go for the Asus, if you are getting serious though, there are other options that would be even better, however the configuration is more complex.

I don't think anyone has asked yet - do you have a master splitter installed? If not, you really should get one put in. It potentially could solve your issues, although I think unlikely in this particular situation. The modems Spark give away are very average, only OK really for very basic use. If you game a lot, or have multiple people online the same time gaming and streaming, you'll definitely want something better. A Draytek DV130 in bridge mode with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE and a Ubiquiti AC-LR access point is amazing and SUPER stable, but does require a bit more knowledge to get setup and running correctly.

You must be right next to a cabinet? Those speeds are basically the theoretical maximum that the Ikanos cabinets are capable of - 70/30. Really nice speeds.
    Last edited by wratterus; 18-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

In this house, I have one serious gamer PC, one video streaming laptop, one ordinary PC for word processing, net serving, 3 mobile phones, all connected to the same Spark free modem.

So far, so happy with it.

I would absolutely not recommend ISP supplied routers at all, I had way too many issues with our HG659 while living with my parents. Now I have the setup wratterus described above and it's fantastic.

My HG659B is running solid as. No issues. Should I have any, a brand new one will be at my door step in 2~3 days, FREE.

It's FREE vs $300+

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    My HG659B is running solid as. No issues. Should I have any, a brand new one will be at my door step in 2~3 days, FREE.

It's FREE vs $300+
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

I fully intended to replace the free fibre router, but like bk T it's been perfectly stable so I've stuck with it. Since I went fibre last year some time I have rebooted my router once due to losing internet. Not a bad record for however long that's been.

I'm a bit hard on routers as well, I've killed several and some of those were the recommended ones from here. I do things like watch a streaming Movie while downloading a torrent and playing an online game (who says guys can't multi task) and I let my various devices update whenever they feel like it so sometimes that's happening as well.

I also agree that the freebie routers are not the best, but if they work for you the price is pretty hard to beat.

As to the VDSL issues, how long have you had VDSL and how long has it been doing this? it can take quite some time for the connection to settle down after it's installed as a lot of testing and training of the line goes on automatically for a while until a stable connection is settled on, restarting can actually interrupt and prolong this occasionally. I forget the proper terms.

Keep an eye on it, but honestly if the worst connection you posted is as bad as it gets that's still pretty good. If it gets worse talk to your ISP again.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser42 View Post
    I would absolutely not recommend ISP supplied routers at all, I had way too many issues with our HG659 while living with my parents. Now I have the setup wratterus described above and it's fantastic.

I agree with pcuser32

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I fully intended to replace the free fibre router, but like bk T it's been perfectly stable so I've stuck with it. Since I went fibre last year some time I have rebooted my router once due to losing internet. Not a bad record for however long that's been.

I'm a bit hard on routers as well, I've killed several and some of those were the recommended ones from here. I do things like watch a streaming Movie while downloading a torrent and playing an online game (who says guys can't multi task) and I let my various devices update whenever they feel like it so sometimes that's happening as well.

I also agree that the freebie routers are not the best, but if they work for you the price is pretty hard to beat.

As to the VDSL issues, how long have you had VDSL and how long has it been doing this? it can take quite some time for the connection to settle down after it's installed as a lot of testing and training of the line goes on automatically for a while until a stable connection is settled on, restarting can actually interrupt and prolong this occasionally. I forget the proper terms.

Keep an eye on it, but honestly if the worst connection you posted is as bad as it gets that's still pretty good. If it gets worse talk to your ISP again.

Yes i know vdsl takes longer to settle down after it is installed , been like 3 months since i had .

Thanks

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Just because you're not a "power user" BK t, or you haven't had any trouble, doesn't mean they're still not genuinely terrible routers. There's a reason they GIVE THEM FREE, coz they're actually just bad pieces of kit that they pay around $14 a pop for.

If you're after stability and reliable sync speeds, then it's not something an el-cheapo router is going to give you (As you've found), and what wratterus has suggested isn't cheap, but it IS reliable, it is going to give you these sync speeds, and it is going to be the best you can squeeze out of your connection. Not to mention, when you one day go to UFB, you can just drop the DV130 and stick with the ER-X and UAP-AC-LR.