Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VDSL Issue

Default Re: VDSL Issue

Chilling_Silence, agree with you to certain extent.

We are talking about an ordinary average user, not a 'Power User' like yourself. How many 'Power User' like yourself around? How do you define the term 'Power User'? Please explain in simple terms so that an ordinary user like me can understand. We can connect our PCs, Laptops, smart phones (and all other 'smart' devices) to it and it works perfectly as it should. We can surf the internet, download whatever we wish, play our games, watch youtube videos, etc., etc.

I don't have a big circle of friends around me, and they all use the freebie from their ISP for years. It maybe a 'genuinely terrible routers' to you but it is a stable and reliable router to me and my circle of friends. No disputes here.

I don't care whether it is a 'genuinely terrible router' or an expensive 'genuinely good router' , as long as it works for me as it should, it is a good router, as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, I have been using their freebie for many years and will continue to use it until one day when it just fails to work or I win Lotto this Saturday. Not prepared to spend ~$300 to replace something which is working 'perfectly' OK for free. Simple logic.

That's the final line.
    Last edited by bk T; 19-07-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Just because you're not a "power user" BK t, or you haven't had any trouble, doesn't mean they're still not genuinely terrible routers. There's a reason they GIVE THEM FREE, coz they're actually just bad pieces of kit that they pay around $14 a pop for.
    If its for business use, I would get something else . You also see plenty of people with wifi issues caused by certain ISP's routers (fixed by buying a better wifi router)

Im not sure what the ISP's do with their custom firmware, but Ive found some ports simply wont port forward on some ISP's routers . Even DMZ woouldnt pass through
    all ports (on a different ISP's routers) .
    Get a Draytek & all the issues just disappear

I agree with bk T
    Unless and until I have any major problem with my Spark Modem HG659b I will stick with it.
    I have previously updated the firmware and checked just now that it is still up to date.

I cannot believe Spark or Vodafone or any other major ISP would supply dodgy modems, their reputations are at stake.

Incidentally I am using mine on Compass, works fine as I expected it would.

Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks to everybody for helping me .

I purchased this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MOD...em-Router-Dual .

I have setup it up and I'm seeing big improvement interms of speed and range , much better than before .

Before I didnt have splitter so I had to install a vdsl splitter , it came with the new modem router .

So yeah thanks to everyone once again .

Currently getting around 50mbps and 12 mbps via wired connection but the router shows it can go past 70 mpbs . So I'm very keen to seen that .

Quote Originally Posted by Jedsdad View Post

I cannot believe Spark or Vodafone or any other major ISP would supply dodgy modems, their reputations are at stake.
    you mean modems with unpatched security holes
    modems preloaded with factory default admin passwords AND preset so that anyone on the internet can simply login to that modem (ie WAN admin access)
    modems with security so bad, they get hacked into & DNS settings changed : so your internet gets re-directed through infected webpages (seen it)
    modems known for having abysmal wifi performance
    modems that wont port forward properly ( thats been a real issue for many many years )

yep , all that , in NZ . It HAS happened . So lets not pretend otherwise
    btw, where I say modems above, I meant routers

Quote Originally Posted by AppleFan View Post
    Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks to everybody for helping me .

I purchased this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MOD...em-Router-Dual .

I have setup it up and I'm seeing big improvement interms of speed and range , much better than before .

Before I didnt have splitter so I had to install a vdsl splitter , it came with the new modem router .

So yeah thanks to everyone once again .

Currently getting around 50mbps and 12 mbps via wired connection but the router shows it can go past 70 mpbs . So I'm very keen to seen that .
    Good to hear - still highly recommend getting a master splitter installed.

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8357
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    I don't care whether it is a 'genuinely terrible router' or an expensive 'genuinely good router' , as long as it works for me as it should, it is a good router, as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, I have been using their freebie for many years and will continue to use it until one day when it just fails to work or I win Lotto this Saturday. Not prepared to spend ~$300 to replace something which is working 'perfectly' OK for free. Simple logic.

That's the final line.
    I dunno why you took it all so personal dude?

Somebody is having issues with their connection, and there's a high chance it's their router. Super that it's working for you, but it's not for me, and apparently not for the OP.

So relax alright, I never said YOU should go spend your money.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Good to hear - still highly recommend getting a master splitter installed.

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8357
    Agreed, if you don't, get one. If not through this chap, then through Chorus, you can ring your ISP and they'll arrange it, though it'll likely be $180-ish.
    Edit: Though Steve Biddle has been around Geekzone a long time and is well trusted
    Last edited by Chilling_Silence; 21-07-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post

Somebody is having issues with their connection, and there's a high chance it's their router.
    Yep, that's basic trouble shooting 101. Unless its something obvious, like smoke coming out of somewhere, or obvious dodgy connections, change the modem/router to a known good working one and see if the problems fixed. That's why I carry a couple with me all the time when out and about.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer