Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Help choosing a Bulletin Board (or forum) to use from scratch

A small sub-group of us who are members of a largish voluntary group want to set up a bulletin board (or even forum). It needs to be a free one, but even so there are a plethora of them out there. I get dizzy just reading the merits and possibilities of each.

We do had a website so it probably could be added to that, but just for the use of the sub-group (who are learning Affinity Photo). I guess it could even be standalone. The members should be able to ask questions, so that anyone knowing a possible solution are able to respond to that specific question. Members who discover something useful about the Affinity Photo should be able to share that new knowledge. It should have a search mechanism, place for FAQ's. I do not think we need to be able to message each other using the board or forum, if that makes the project easier. There should be flexibility so that if we find out that we need to add options later then it could be done.

It should not be very complex to set up.

Facebook would be good option in my book, however for whatever reason our members are somewhat resistant to that.
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    Lightroom 6
    Elements+
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Help choosing a Bulletin Board (or forum) to use from scratch

The best way to see if a board suits your needs is to try the demos out. Your requirements are some what standard with most boards. If this is your first time running a board then you may want to look at the most popular ones as they will have better support if you get into a sticky situation and also a lot of addons/mods to get a board with extra requirements.

There are also sites that can host your board for free with possibly a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    The best way to see if a board suits your needs is to try the demos out. Your requirements are some what standard with most boards. If this is your first time running a board then you may want to look at the most popular ones as they will have better support if you get into a sticky situation and also a lot of addons/mods to get a board with extra requirements.

There are also sites that can host your board for free with possibly a catch.
    Thanks Kame, though I am trying to bypass trying the demos as not that confident. That is why I have posted here.

"sites that can host your board for free with possibly a catch" . Can you give any indication of "a catch"? Advertising for instance? Upgrades?
    Lightroom 6
    Elements+
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Most go the advertising and possibly spam way but you need to check with them. The most popular free hosted board I believe is www.proboards.com

Thanks Kame, have had a look and it appears that if you want to move out of that Bulletin Board (proboards) at some time in the future then you cannot take the history with you. Also it has advertising.
    I am looking at MyBB, which has no advertising and the help centres are staffed by volunteers.
    Lightroom 6
    Elements+
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I am looking at MyBB, which has no advertising and the help centres are staffed by volunteers.
    I recommend it. I used it for a few years. The learning curve isn't too hard, its very customisable, and I preferred it over Proboards a lot.
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!