Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Whenever I try to read "The Independent" UK newspaper I get "Not Responding"

this is not just occasionally. I use Firefox and get this ever single day, for months! Thought that it might be Firefox, then after a very short while found it also happens on the "Edge" and "Internet Explorer". It may be something to do with the fact that this newspaper no longer has a print edition, and now can only be accessed on line. I persevere, because it reports news particularly well and has reports on the Middle East from Robert Fisk, who is much more unbiased and reliable.

I do notice that I get less of the "Not Responding" if I go particularly slowly, so may be tied in with downloading speed. However, since it is now solely internet based you would not think of that as a possible problem. Tearing my hair out, and I don't have much left!!
    Affinity 1.5.2.69
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    Lightroom 6
    Elements+
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Default Re: Whenever I try to read "The Independent" UK newspaper I get "Not Responding"

Seems OK for me, crisp and rapid response using Firefox and ADSL2. So it is probably something to do with your particular set up.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Default Re: Whenever I try to read "The Independent" UK newspaper I get "Not Responding"

No trouble here on Opera with their Webpage

Do you get on-line subscription of the Independent?

Working Ok here as well.

Have you tried cleaning out your temp internet files, with something like Ccleaner ? If not it could be trying to load old pages.

You can also try this, open a CMD, type in ping www.independent.co.uk <Press Enter>

You should get a steady response with a IP address of 151.101.129.184

Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMD_UK.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	8149

I
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    No trouble here on Opera with their Webpage
    Same here with Chrome.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Lawrence - I must confess that I read it for free ( I have made a contribution once recently to The Guardian)

wainuitech - Have just used CCleaner and cleared out 5.9Gigs. Since my SSD drive is only using 106Gigs at present, with 116Gigs free, I had not bothered too much until now. However it has not fixed the problem.
    I have done the ping thing, it flashes by very quickly and the window disappears before I can read everything. However by running it about 12-14 times have noticed that it pings similar to yours three times, each go. Cannot read the stats at the bottom before the window disappears.

Patrick - sorry I don't know what this means, or how to do it? - "Try to check back your browser's page."
    Affinity 1.5.2.69
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    Lightroom 6
    Elements+
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Okay -- That CMD box should stay open until you manually close it ( or type in exit) looks like you may have some sort of corruption. Assuming this is W10, (I'll copy paste from another thread I just replied to) Lazy eh

From search, type in CMD right click the result /run as administrator. Type in sfc /scannow <Press enter key>

Then run this DISM command. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth it will take a while to run and often appears to stop at 20% just leave it, it will finish on its own.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

VoidMaster

Misty, open Run, type in CMD, once the box appears paste in "ping www.independent.co.uk" without semi-collon, hit 'Enter'
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Did you do a restart after running c-cleaner? run c-cleaner again and see what happens

Are you running the latest Firefox build?

Something to try ,Download another Firefox Browser so you have 2 of them(leave it clean) just to see if a add on or something else is causing a problem

See if the www.independent.co.uk loads on the new build