Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Drivers Trusting GPS Too Much..

Husband and son use GPS.
    I don't.

I guess it can be handy, driving along when you don't know the way.
    However I find you never learn the way.

Son never knows where places are or the various routes to them.

An instance, we went to a friends in Hamilton, husband used the GPS.

The next time I went alone and looked up the address first on google.

It actually turned out to be super easy going a different way, and I just followed that, granddaughter hung on to the google map, which helpfully showed places nearby, and she told me turn past the McDonalds.

Yep, dead right, then along a bit, and another turn a bit further. There we were.
    But husband still doesn't know the way, he relies on his gadget.....
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Never use a GPS - When ever going anywhere I don't know, have a look at google maps beforehand , print off the area if a lot of streets, then simply go -- If not to sure then pull over and consult map. On the VERY rare occasion pull over and have a look at google maps on Phone.

or as SWMBO says -- I get told where to go anyway
    Same here. I do not have a GPS and will not buy one. There is nothing wrong with the maps I get from the AA and they are free.

I do the same as you, Wainui, and look things up on Google Maps, print out and take with me. No trouble at all.

I have been a passenger in a car with GPS and think that the american accent sounds terrible. I couldn't use one of those!

And as with you, Wainui, I too have a SWMBO who tells me where to go.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Visit the Radio Reading Service: www.radioreading.org.nz

Old guy

Road maps are out of date before you buy them, GPS might know where you are but unless its map system is up to date can be problematic at times. My vote goes to the Google Navigation Lady, her advice is up to the minute and in Auckland very accurate. She comes up with alternate routes in the event of an accident or congestion on the road ahead.
    I know Auckland very well and have no problem finding my way from A to B but the Google lady has taught me some very good alternatives.

Zippity Fan Club Member prefect's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Same here. I do not have a GPS and will not buy one. There is nothing wrong with the maps I get from the AA and they are free.

I do the same as you, Wainui, and look things up on Google Maps, print out and take with me. No trouble at all.

I have been a passenger in a car with GPS and think that the american accent sounds terrible. I couldn't use one of those!

And as with you, Wainui, I too have a SWMBO who tells me where to go.
    You can change the voice, I have a husky female voice set on mine.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Google maps is a GPS and the one I use. It is a lot more up to date than standalone GPS units but otherwise does the same job, I don't think you can really separate it into a different class. Pcteks example sounds like the grandaughter just did the job of the google maps lady so it might as well have been a GPS to my mind. The sort of people that never learn how to get somewhere without the GPS would learn slowly if they were using maps as well. Using google maps to look up a route or letting it give you turn by turn instructions is still the same information either way.

Google maps travel times are scarily accurate too, I often have seen the prediction and thought to myself BS only to be proven wrong. It uses live traffic flow data to work it out. I set out from Hamilton for a morning meeting in central Auckland and allowed 2 hours to get there thinking that was plenty, allowing for 40-45 min delay on the motorway and finding a park. Google maps told me I was going to be 15 mins late and guess what, I was.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

My Vitara has a built in one on the dash. Never use it. To distracting when driving. If in doubt I get SWMBO to direct me (in a husky female voice Prefect ) using my phone.

Ken
    Related to the Queen - by Corgi

Lets not blame GPS for basic user stupidity .
    Drivers did plenty of stupid things before GPS, such as driving the wrong way down the motorway, driving into the exit ramps, driving where cars dont belong :-)

GPS is just another tool. It can be turned off when not needed . Its not perfect .
    Its better than a Map , it can lead me right up to the adress , house blding no. Thats a big help at night when adresses on letterboxes are unreadable from the car
    GPS gives me audible step by step directions , safer than looking down at a roadmap all the time.

My GPS's 'voice' is Jeremy Clarkson. Complete with witty oneliners & abuse .

I got rid of map books years ago and now 100% use GPS to get where I need to go..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

When I was in Canada a couple of years ago - we couldn't buy maps. The expectation was that everyone was using GPS.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Road maps are out of date before you buy them, GPS might know where you are but unless its map system is up to date can be problematic at times. My vote goes to the Google Navigation Lady, her advice is up to the minute and in Auckland very accurate. She comes up with alternate routes in the event of an accident or congestion on the road ahead.
    I know Auckland very well and have no problem finding my way from A to B but the Google lady has taught me some very good alternatives.
    Yeah - i reckon I know Auckland well too, CBD, North Shore, West, East, Water front, Both "Coasts". Actually Buying on Trademe helped, get to know nearly every suburb, to pickup large items. But still used GPS, not only to get there, but to detour a bit, e.g. to a suburbs's local Mall, Petrol Station, etc. GPS displayed areas I long forgot, e.g a basin (Orakei), lake, wetland area, and small beaches out West (Mill and French Bay). Also display new suburbs. Plus can save them, and lately share or email locations to others.

Lately been taking Auckland pics', and Google asks if want to add them to Maps. Records a time-line of your travels, and can add ratings to certain venues you visit. Also Google Maps API is used in many other Apps, I use satellite images in a diagnostic app, a petrol consumption App, and a dash cam kind of App. Google Maps App seems to be updated regularly, and now with the address type plus codes.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 04-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)