Thread: DVD /UV

Default DVD /UV

Hi, this feels a really dumb question but I want to buy a DVD from trade me and am unsure if the "UV" thing is going to be an issue. I don't really understand what ultraviolet is all about - all I want is to be able to play the DVD on my DVD player whenever I want, nothing else. If the DVD has DVD/UV am I going to be able to do that?
    Thanks.

Default Re: DVD /UV

As long as you have the legit Licence - Yes.

Have a read of the following articles, they explain.:ultraviolet-what-you-need-to-know and what-is-ultraviolet/
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Hi, thanks for replying. I have read those pages and still don't understand how it works. If I buy a brand new DVD I would have the legit licence for it, wouldn't I? And in that case shouldn't I be able to play it on my DVD player without fluffing around with UV?

It doesn't effect normal playback. Usually it just means there's a licence for a digital copy you can download included, and almost always for me it's already expired by the time I get the disk.
    I have several DVDs in my collection with UV logos and licences included that I've bought second hand, they play just fine.

It's kind of like a legitimate alternative to ripping your own disks, just less convenient and more restricted.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Thanks heaps for that explanation, it is just what I wanted to hear.