Default Windows 10 Users - How can I Stop them accessing certain folders

Hello
    This is probably a stupid question.
    But is there a way to deny a user access to certain folders?

At present, when I set up a new user they are given access to all of the folders on my data drive. (and all of my drives!)

With Networking you have to share a folder so that it is accessible

Thanks
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Default Re: Windows 10 Users - How can I Stop them accessing certain folders

If they are a limited user, and you are an admin, anything withing your user account won't be visible from within their accounts. However any other partitions, or stuff outside your user profile folder generally will be, I'm not aware of a way off the top of my head to change this, other than get a different computer for these other users to use, and only share what you want with them, or keep the data within your user folder.

There are ways to encrypt and hide folders obviously, this can sometimes be more trouble that it's worth.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Computer Tech

Haven't got a Windows 10 Home system in front of me right now but with 10 Pro you can right-click on any folder and go to the security tab and adjust the access permissions there.
    However if the other users are local admin accounts then they can just go in there and change them again if they really wanted to.
    You'd have to make their user accounts standard users only so they don't have admin rights.

I have Windows 10 Home version
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Just came across an old trick ( by the looks) it worked fine. There is ONE HUGE "GOTYA" Don't lose the bat file, make a backup, then back it up again other wise you could be screwed if you lose it or it gets deleted.

Have a read of http://www.instructables.com/id/simple-folder-locker/ NOTE: another site had same instructions but used rich text Document, but didn't work, you have to use notepad, as per instructions.

Just tried it in W10 - worked fine, you move all the files you want to keep "secret" into this folder. Could write out more but easier to show in action Really quick demo after creating .bat file, created two blank documents and the password is pressf1 -----

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Password.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	8135

In Action:

https://www.screencast.com/t/iIWZ2wEqed
    Last edited by wainuitech; 29-06-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer