Default Win 10 Pro Automatic Update

I used Group Policy Editor to restrict Win10's automatic update. It used to work quite well before but of late, I noticed that Win 10's auto update still doing the auto update a few days ago.

That morning, when I turned ON my PC, it loads fine but after a minute or two, everything has come to a standstill - only the small circle spinning. Couldn't do anything, couldn't launch Firefox, nothing .

Somehow, I managed to use the task manager (?) to RESTART the machine and it took almost 20 min to do all those updating, configuring, thingy. Everything works OK after it has restarted.

The following is what I done from Gpedit:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->Windows Update

Double-clicked Configure automatic updates -> Enabled -> selected no. 2 -- Notify for Download and Automatic install.

Have I done something wrong here?

Default Re: Win 10 Pro Automatic Update

Nope.

As posted on this site that explains several methods. http://www.askvg.com/fixing-windows-...stall-problem/

Since Microsoft has completely replaced old Windows Update program with a new modern app in Windows 10, the Group Policy or Registry tweak to change Windows Update settings don't work immediately. Even after restarting your computer or executing gpupdate /force command, the changes are not applied in Windows Update window.
    There may have already been updates on the way that had to finish.

I personally just use a couple of .bat files they work fine. If windows tries to update it errors. Until I reactivate it again.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

In the past, "notify only" wasnt.
    Despite setting notify only , MS could still force through any updates they deemed urgent

Not sure if its still the case , but it wouldnt surprise me.
    The best way is to disable the update service, then re-enable when convenient for you . can be done via a batch file .

Also, after major updates (ie a new 10 build version), your update settings might be reverted to default

I always have auto Windows updates turned off, have done so for years. Very seldom have problems.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I just go in to Services and change "Windows Updates" to "Disabled", never starts up that way, seems fine on Win10.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    I just go in to Services and change "Windows Updates" to "Disabled", never starts up that way, seems fine on Win10.
    This.

The only way to stop Windows Updates happening is to disable the Windows Update service. Set it to Automatic or Manual when you do actually want to do some updates and disable it again after its done.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    You should be able to setup 2 batch files (on the desktop), for on & off : bat file to turn update service on/off
    That would be a bit easier for some.

Probably what WT was referring to

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    You should be able to setup 2 batch files (on the desktop), for on & off : bat file to turn update service on/off
    That would be a bit easier for some.

Probably what WT was referring to
    Yep, that's exactly what I do. I have them on a couple of computers that update only when I want them to ( media center for example).

As described simple as double click ( or right click run as admin) and updates stop, then same to get them going again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat_files.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	8147
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer