Default Questions about torrents

Hi, I have some probably newbie questions about torrents.
    And before you ask, this I'm using it for legal downloading - I belong to a site that lets collectors trade audience-recorded concert recordings from various artists, which are made available via torrents. I'm not downloading software or movies or anything like that.

My questions
    - Do I need to save / keep the .torrent file if I want to seed?
    - How about if I want to re-seed or re-upload in the future? Sometimes I see re-seed requests for shows that I already have, but I don't know how to re-seed them, even if I have the .torrent file saved. I thought there should be a way of seeding the old torrent rather than creating a new one?
    - If I have the completed files automatically moved to a different folder on my PC after completion (moved automatically by the torrent program, set within the settings), will the files still seed?
    - How about if I want to manually move the files later on to a new folder, what do I need to do to make sure they keep seeding?

I am using Taxati as my torrent program, by the way.

Default Re: Questions about torrents

Not sure that bootleg concert recordings count as legal, but I may be out of date with that opinion?

Surely you can find instruction for how to seed with Taxati with google, personally I just set the ratio to either 1 or 2 and let things seed until they hit the target so I've never tried to actually seed anything after it's completed. Can't imagine it's too hard to figure out from the menus though. I prefer Deluge and Transmission as my torrent clients personally.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Not sure that bootleg concert recordings count as legal, but I may be out of date with that opinion?
    of course its not legal . it's a copyright violation.
    Some bands do allow it, hippies Most do not allow it.

Its stealing the hard work of someone else .
    Its like sneaking into a concert without paying , which I used to do all the time at Western Springs way back in the day when I was younger. The security guards didnt care
    back then & sometimes would let people in for free (or for a few $)

heaps of ph recorded bootlegs on youtube, with appalling audio quality

For Seeding torrents the torrent program can only seed what its already got. Meaning when you download torrents you generally will get pieces from various other people.

Look at it like a jigsaw puzzle, you collect all the pieces from various places (people) and once you have all the pieces your download is then complete. For every piece you get you are also sharing it with someone else who is getting the same torrent.

The torrent program has to know what to share, so if you download something then move it to another folder the torrent program doesn't have a clue where the file is.

Have a read of how-does-bittorrent-work/ there are a couple of pictures as well as an explanation as to how they work compared to downloading from a site.

One good example of torrents ( legal) are linux ISO's, many places ask you to use a torrent instead of downloading from their site as it then takes the traffic away from the site so they don't use data on their accounts.

Here's an example, Linux Lite, you can either download Direct or from a torrent https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php#current.

Just downloaded Linux lite and you can see some (that's only about half of the seeders) the torrent is coming from. Took about 2 minutes to download. But no uploading (seeding) from mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linux_Torrent_Download.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	8130

With most torrent programs you can stop a Torrent from seeding, this way you are not uploading all the time and sucking through your data. With torrents you have to remember that for what ever you download, depending on how many others are seeding you can easily triple or higher the amount of upload. You may have no one getting any of the data you downloaded, then again you can have many ( pick a number) or with some programs you can set the amount of uploaders allowed.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-06-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by Chikara View Post
    Hi, I have some probably newbie questions about torrents.
    And before you ask, this I'm using it for legal downloading - I belong to a site that lets collectors trade audience-recorded concert recordings from various artists, which are made available via torrents. I'm not downloading software or movies or anything like that.

My questions
    - Do I need to save / keep the .torrent file if I want to seed?
    - How about if I want to re-seed or re-upload in the future? Sometimes I see re-seed requests for shows that I already have, but I don't know how to re-seed them, even if I have the .torrent file saved. I thought there should be a way of seeding the old torrent rather than creating a new one?
    - If I have the completed files automatically moved to a different folder on my PC after completion (moved automatically by the torrent program, set within the settings), will the files still seed?
    - How about if I want to manually move the files later on to a new folder, what do I need to do to make sure they keep seeding?

I am using Taxati as my torrent program, by the way.
    You can discard the .torrent file, but if you want to re-seed a fileset that is no longer on your HD you'll need create a new .torrent file/thread if its dropped off the tracker. If you want to jump back on to seed then the torrent will still need to be in Tixati.
    It should seed ok if moved by the torrent client.
    If you move them manually you'll need to delete the torrent from Tixati and reopen the .torrent file and point it to the new folder to continue seeding.
    http://bt.etree.org has shows from bands that allow taping, as does (non-torrent) archive.org/details/etree & nyctaper.com.

Thanks, yes people seem to automatically assume all torrents are illegal, thanks for pointing out those other sites, the one I belong to has similar policies. As long as the bands concerned have given their approval to fans trading concert recordings, without profit, I think there is no problem.

Thanks also for the answers about seeding / re-seeding etc, that makes sense.