Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Clear or Paradise blacklisted?

I had that problem with paradise back when it first came out, I swapped to them for something to do with gaming that I vaguely remember now, had a lot of issues, switched back.
    Seemed at the time that a lot of E-mail filters didn't believe @paradise.net.nz was a valid place for E-mails to come from, not their fault really but it's annoying.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I had that problem with paradise back when it first came out, I swapped to them for something to do with gaming that I vaguely remember now, had a lot of issues, switched back.
    Seemed at the time that a lot of E-mail filters didn't believe @paradise.net.nz was a valid place for E-mails to come from, not their fault really but it's annoying.
    what would happen is paradise and other ISPs would have some there customers sending lots of spam emails
    This would get them blacklisted on overseas blacklists . Its not so much an issue now, but some blacklisting services were far too strict and would only allow
    the ISP to be desisted a few times then permanently blacklist them forever . And the ISP often didnt know if it was some small time hardly known blacklist .

Even static IP's that ISP's give out to companies can be 'dirty' (on blacklists) . So the company changes ISP, gets a new static IP , then email sent from the companies
    servers start bouncing .

Gmail can be used to send mail with an email address you own. You need to add it to your gmail account and then verify that you do own it. This should be seen as a temporary fix till you ask vodafone to delist their smtp server. I am sure they are familiar with the process.

Just send with smtp2go. Its free for low volumes of email .

Vodafone 0508 555 500 have asked me to call so that they can "take over my computer". I'm not paranoid but I would prefer they just tell me what to do. I'll be seeing Vodafone today (physically) about something else and will ask the guy. (I've got a new phone and I need them to set the data AP. This is another annoyance, particularly now that they've got rid of most of their physical stores)

Thanks for the info 1101 and Kame, I'm partly on the way already - I had to resurrect my Google email address to get into the app store on my new phone.The address I want to use is @surname.net

Part of my problem is that I don't have a clear picture of how email works. For instance if the SMTP server is at Vodafone, is the client 'me' or is it wherever the message is going to go to? Or is the SMTP server on my computer?
    i7-6700k @ 4.4GHz, Crucial 250GB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB @ 2.4GHz
    GA-z170n-wifi, Noctua NH-D9L low profile, Silverstone SG08, EVGA GTX970

SMTP is your postie guy, you the sender use your email client to drop your mail off into the postal box, the outgoing box, the outbox, which waits till you give it the go ahead and it then gets sent to the postie guy (they don't pick up) while a copy goes to your sent box. The postie guy tries to then deliver it to your recipient, the address you post to. If they don't like the postie because he delivered junk mail, they reject him.

You can change the postie to whoever you want to deliver your mail, you can not however change your address that mail is sent to you without a major process, so your address space will always remain with vodafone.

So postie can be changed, smtp server, address not normally, locations at your pop3/imap server.

Thanks Kame that is helpful. And I see by my Thunderbird settings that the postie guy lives at No 25

On Vodafone's advice I changed from smtp.paradise.net.nz to smtp.clear.net.nz (and deleted the password requirement - they didn't tell me that initially)

but my emails still get bounced from the ISP that hosts our family domain. As with the paradise smtp, the rejection is due to "poor reputation" of the smtp server.

The Vodafone ninja used a vodafone smtp to send to the same address and it was accepted OK

Looking at the bounced info (attch) the reason seems to be "very high volume" sending, perhaps indicative of hacking. I can't interpret the quality score of 10. The red crosses seem to be frills that Vodafone haven't bought rather than black marks

Interestingly the smtp server is shown as smtp5 even though I didn't enter any number after 'smtp'

Vodafone requested me to forward one of the bounced emails and they promised me they are working on the case.

(I also discovered that Thunderbird is flaky when it comes to adding new smtp options. I could add a new server, even set it as default, and everything would look perfect. But when an email was sent it would continue to use the old smtp. The only reliable way to force a change seems to be editing the existing server)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smtp5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	8017  

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I have an old Paradise address that dates back to when Vodafone ceased to be our ISP about 18 months ago. Over the past 3 weeks or so, that address has been subjected to a storm of spam the likes of which I have never seen in the years we were with Planet, Cyberxpress and Paradise, depending on who owned us at the time. It is not showing any signs of slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I have an old Paradise address .
    being such an old system, chances are its not running the same level of spam filtering as Voda's email ?
    Spam comes & goes in spurts. Just they way things are now.