Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Fallen branches

  1. #21

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Free firewood!

  2. #22
    Awaiting Enlightenment R2x1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Shore.
    Posts
    13,393

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    The job was actually pretty near half done anyway, the tree was effectively cut down, you only had to cut it up.
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.


  3. #23
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,327

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Lol.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

  4. #24

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    The job was actually pretty near half done anyway, the tree was effectively cut down, you only had to cut it up.
    Worst job I ever did was cut DOWN a willow trunk 2 metres away from a block of flats,the trunk was as high as the flats! No room to fell it, so up an extension ladder 800 cm diameter at the top, over a metre at the bottom, slice by slice. not very nice using a chainsaw in that situation, plus dropping the rounds was pretty scary. Cleaning up afterwards was a piece of cake! Weirdest willow I have ever seen.

  5. #25
    Modulator Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    8,844

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Worst job I ever did
    When I was in Auckland my neighbour's house needed a tree to be trimmed. Now, I have a healthy respectful fear of heights, but this guy realised the error of his ways, when half way through the job he got down off the tree, dumped his chainsaw on the lawn and said he'll never climb another tree again. He must've been going through some sort of crisis to suddenly give up his livelihood just like that.
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

  6. #26
    Senior Member pctek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Wild West
    Posts
    23,965

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Oh tree stories.
    Husband loves cutting them down.

    Gives me the screaming horrors. He's banned from the big ones now.

    Probably partly seeing the pics up Woodhill Forest that show the results of mistakes with chainsaws, and his tendency to hypoglycemia.

    Worst was he was just going to trim a few bit on a tree we were going to take down next day 7 years ago). Young guy who worked for power co and climbed pylons, was going to do the climbing and branch trimming.

    I say to husband wait for him. No.

    So as husband stands on ladder with hand saw, I go in not to watch and after a bit ph rings.
    Son.

    I say oh your dad is up a tree killing himself....look out and actually by then he was.

    He'd abandoned the ladder, climbed further up, was at least 20' up and standing on a skinny branch, one hand on trunk, totally and utterly hypo.

    I drop phone and start running, wondering how I will climb, hold him, climb back down when he solved that issue by letting go of the trunk.

    He flew nicely, arms out stretched for oh a good nano second, before (luckily) reaching out with one hand, catching another branch, which swung him out enough that he fell on the ground and not straight down on top of the corrugated iron fence directly below this tree.

    After I revived him, tended to the cuts and bruises, hid the ladder and saw, he didn't believe me and to this day insists he was still on that ladder.
    wipe your paws.

  7. #27
    Awaiting Enlightenment R2x1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Shore.
    Posts
    13,393

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Quote Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
    Worst job I ever did was cut DOWN a willow trunk 2 metres away from a block of flats,the trunk was as high as the flats! No room to fell it, so up an extension ladder 800 cm diameter at the top, over a metre at the bottom, slice by slice. not very nice using a chainsaw in that situation, plus dropping the rounds was pretty scary. Cleaning up afterwards was a piece of cake! Weirdest willow I have ever seen.
    Silliest thing I ever did with trees involved neighbour, self, truck, trailer, 4 chainsaws, many spare sharp chains and a long weekend plus unwanted willows. We laboured hard for many hours, took two truck & trailer loads home of cut firewood, picked up three more loads following weekend. Got considerable exercise splitting and stacking the stuff, but come the following winter we were amazed to find that willow is as good for making heat as concrete blocks are. Burns brightly with a cheery flame and has flames that wouldn't singe thistledown. No heat.
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.


  8. #28
    Modulator Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    8,844

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    LOL @ pctek and R2x1 You poor buggers!
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

  9. #29
    Large Member plod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,297

    Default Re: Fallen branches

    Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    Silliest thing I ever did with trees involved neighbour, self, truck, trailer, 4 chainsaws, many spare sharp chains and a long weekend plus unwanted willows. We laboured hard for many hours, took two truck & trailer loads home of cut firewood, picked up three more loads following weekend. Got considerable exercise splitting and stacking the stuff, but come the following winter we were amazed to find that willow is as good for making heat as concrete blocks are. Burns brightly with a cheery flame and has flames that wouldn't singe thistledown. No heat.
    He who chops wood gets warm twice, but not for you.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Similar Threads

  1. How far Dick Smith has fallen. . . . .
    By nofam in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18-08-2009, 09:05 AM
  2. Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen
    By wratterus in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25-06-2009, 08:21 AM
  3. Networking Fallen Over
    By CaptinMoor in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 12:29 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28-03-2006, 06:28 PM
  5. Nigerians fallen on hard times?
    By Peterj116 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •