Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Question Please Advise On A New Tablet For Me

My Samsung Galaxy Tab S finally died a horrible death and I'm looking for another - although I don't want to spend as much as I did on that Tab S unit. I really like Samsung's attitude - although their bloatware is not my favorite.

What I'm looking at is this:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1"; 16 GB Wifi Tablet (Black) SM-T580NZKAXAR

• I know it's a step down - but how far of a step down is it really?
    • I like to stream an occasional video, create videos for YouTube, run GMail, and much of the Google stuff.
    • I have a TCL/Roku flat screen 32" television and I can cast to it from all my tablets. I imagine this one will too.... right?
      I don't like the side-firing speakers on the Tab S, but they were live-able although most times I was Bluetoothed to my sound system in my workshop and that worked well.
      I don't really care about the thinness of the unit though and I think that's the biggest reason for the horrendous death spiral from my hand to a tile floor.
      I'd like a Stylus and wonder if this unit has a stylus or can one be bought and used on it? I think I hear that the one with a stylus is a totally different tablet and has a different set of apps in the bloatware. What's right?

Не забравяйте, че ходим с всемогъщия Бог, а не ангел или човек

Default Re: Please Advise On A New Tablet For Me

Bumpity-bump!

Hey - no ideas? That's not typical of F1

If you can afford it go for the TAB s 9.7 " version (1536 x 2048 pixels (~264 ppi pixel density)) . Much better screen. My wife has the TAB A 10.1" (1200 x 1920 pixels (~224 ppi pixel density) and while the screen is OK the lower resolution shows up on small text..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I've got a trip to Missoula (next largest town near here) and I'll check them out.

Thanks.

Samsung has a habit of abandoning their products , ie not offering Android upgrades
    Great display quality, rubbish long term support

My Galaxy Tab is forever stuck on the old version of Android it came with. Samsung never bothered to release any newer version of Android for it

I have owned several of the mid range cheaper tablets over the last few years, mainly from Asus and Acer and they have all been perfectly fine but I have never been blown away by them. This time around I decided to go for one of the better ones and got a tab S2 after reading a bunch of reviews and really the 2 things you notice most is the much nicer screen and how thin the thing is (impressive but does it really matter). The screen on the S2 really is very nice, if you can live without that though the cheaper Tab A is probably good too.

Sony make nice tablets, Asus make fairly dependable if a little boring tablets and often have nice added features like a detachable keyboard on my last one, and if you can live with the walled garden then iPads make every top 10 tablet list I've ever read. You can often find the older models fairly cheap. A high end model from last year is usually still better than a mid range current model.

I say get a quad core with at least 3GB of RAM and a screen that looks ok to you and chances are it'll be fine regardless of the actual model/brand (other than the ultra cheap brands)
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Thanks, Dugi.

I will never ever buy any of iPoo stuff since I dislike designed-in monthly obsolescence.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Thanks, Dugi.

I will never ever buy any of iPoo stuff since I dislike designed-in monthly obsolescence.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Samsung has a habit of abandoning their products , ie not offering Android upgrades
    Great display quality, rubbish long term support

My Galaxy Tab is forever stuck on the old version of Android it came with. Samsung never bothered to release any newer version of Android for it
    Have a look in some of the tablet community forums. Someone will have surely produced a customized unofficial "rom" and it may even be better than the original with all the samsung bloatware removed.

Sometimes you don't want them to update, I had a 2012 nexus 7, great when I got it, progressively slower as it was updated, and ran like a dog when the last update was applied. It just didn't have the resources to run android 5 onwards, rolling it back to 4.xx made it much nicer to use. Android may not be windows but it does need more and more resources as it gets updated. Yes I read all the forums and tried all the fixes, they helped but never made it run as good as rolling it back did. That's why I said 3G of RAM, 2 is probably enough but 3 gives you some breathing room. The nexus had 1GB
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980