Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Optic fibre Internet.

Chorus has almost completed laying the fibre Internet in our street.
    Any advice on the use of Fibre Internet, problems etc would be welcome.

Default Re: Optic fibre Internet.

Dont be fooled into thinking all plans are the same. Lots of people I know (customers) got UFB and found out its not much faster than what they had previously as they get entry level plans thinking they will be going ultra fast ---nope .

Like all plans there are different speeds and different download limits. (get what you pay for) Don't know how up to date the following is, but its a reference of different ISP's

http://ufb.org.nz/pricing-plans/

One thing that's disgusting is someone is holding back the UFB. Even the top end speed offered is way to slow, compared to what you can run at ( and get with Vodafone's new system) makes the 200Mbps look slow.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-04-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

I'm with Spark and have no problems. Prior to UFB installation I was getting about 8 Mb/Sec down 0.8 up on ADSL, when I went to fibre (100/30 unlimited) I'm now getting a constant 94Mb/sec down and 20 - 21 Mb up. I don't know what the experts would consider fast, but for me it's pretty good - no stuttering ever on streaming content. Generally happy - especially with Spark's free Netflix for a year. That's for a two year contract but as I've been with them since Telecom days - no change.
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
    No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue.

Are you using the provided Spark modem? Just curious.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

My advice is mainly about the install, keep an eye on them and make sure they don't leave your property a mess afterwards. A work colleague had them leave a very ugly trench in his very nice lawn with a half arsed attempt at filling and reinstating it. He got it fixed by the company that did his lawn and sent them a bill. I had no such problems with mine, but they managed to thrust from the boundary so it left no visible effects. I'm on the Spark 100/30 plan also and very happy with it, swapped from VDSL at ~ 44/10 though so it's not noticeably better a lot of the time.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Dont be fooled into thinking all plans are the same. Lots of people I know (customers) got UFB and found out its not much faster than what they had previously as they get entry level plans thinking they will be going ultra fast ---nope .
    That's what annoys me. The speed limiting **** like they did when jetstream first came out.

And if you want faster it costs more..........so you'd think if they want to encourage people off copper, they'd at least make it the same price if not less.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    That's what annoys me. The speed limiting **** like they did when jetstream first came out.

And if you want faster it costs more..........so you'd think if they want to encourage people off copper, they'd at least make it the same price if not less.
    I was talking to the one of the guys at Downer the other day, and as he mentioned both UFB and Vodafones new FibreX ( that's Vodafone cables lines) are still not getting what they are capable of.

A lot still relies on where the data is coming from. There's been a few times ( esp if from NZ) that I've maxed out the speed on fibreX, Download something of under 1GB and don't look away for to long - you'll miss it.

Sometimes its no faster than before on the 100/10 plan but in general its fine. When its working as it should the speeds are 700-900Mbps Down, 95 up -- Those figures are not exaggerated - just did a speed test via the speed test app https://www.screencast.com/t/Y0FLfoUjJpg

The FibreX -- When I enquired about it, they said being a long time customer, they gave me a discount rate, so with all the other bits, phones, TV and god knows what else its actually cheaper by $30 /month.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-04-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    so you'd think if they want to encourage people off copper, they'd at least make it the same price if not less.
    You've made this comment before and I've replied before, it is the same price or cheaper. Where are you looking? VDSL costs more than fibre, ADSL is about the same price. That's on Sparks standard plans at least.
    I went from a Unlimited VDSL plan to an Unlimited 100/30 plan - same price & free install. If I'd opted for the 30/10 plan it would have been cheaper - but also slower than my old VDSL as it happens.

If you are comparing to one of the really cheap copper options then maybe you are correct, but only because they don't offer equivalent plans on fibre.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

I get VDSL from Actrix, and had very good service from them.
    Is there any truth in the theory that if the ISP is Spark you would get preferential treatment from Chorus in the event of line problems?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

You've also got to keep in mind that it *does* cost more to give you a 100/20 connection in terms of keeping available bandwidth. Or if you want %@#$ speeds, go with TrustPower or My Republic who consistently oversubscribe their international bandwidth. It's not "rate-limiting" or "throttling", they just leave it free-for-all and you get a bad service because there's, say, 1000 people all trying to use 1gbps of bandwidth and you're unable to.

Chorus have confirmed multiple times there's zero congestion on their backhaul, so if you're not reaching your advertised speeds, it's your ISP at fault.
    National, you should always reach your max speeds, when doing speedtests. Some speedtest providers only have a 1gbps connection themselves so testing on Gig UFB isn't always going to work well, but you get the picture...