Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Laptop still being stalled by Disc usage a 100%

Yes, very unlikely!!

Re-syncing gigabytes of files will do it though! Had this problem a few years ago that put me off cloud storage.

Weird that you haven't been able to narrow down what the problem is given resource monitor capabilities and Task Manager.

Good luck - keep at it.

Should run the Windows 10 Creator update through the Media Creation Tool,upgrade saving your files so may get rid of your problem,worth a try

Did this a few days ago and found both Desktops are one hell of a lot snappier in operation

Linw.
    RM shows 99% disc usage but no indication of what is using so much, Not sure how to use/read RM, but when I did manage to see it while stalled nothing obviously looked wrong except that disc usage was 100%.
    Lawrence.
    Can you provide more info as not sure what you mean. but the machine stalls so unable to do anything while stalled. If I do several operations(clicks) it does them when it comes free of whatever locks it up,

Quote Originally Posted by Colpol View Post
    Lawrence.
    Can you provide more info as not sure what you mean. but the machine stalls so unable to do anything while stalled. If I do several operations(clicks) it does them when it comes free of whatever locks it up,
    Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

You may need to download on another comp if you are having problems, burn ISO and do upgrade

This is my take others may have other idea's

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

This is my take others may have other idea's
    I would do a clean install, not an upgrade.
    wipe & reload. Usually by far the quickest fix.
    Still is ALOT of crapware running on that laptop. (from the screen dumps )

Clean install. Dont install anything till youre happy with the way it runs. Try & keep it clean, free from crapware,bloatware & it will run better .
    And do a custom, not express install. Disable every option at the install stage , keep MS's telemetry etc to a minimum.

Looking like that might be the best bet, This has a Recovery Partition so should not be too hard but I suspect it may reload all the crap. Not sure if I will be able to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colpol View Post
    Looking like that might be the best bet, This has a Recovery Partition so should not be too hard but I suspect it may reload all the crap. Not sure if I will be able to stop it.
    Personally - I'd do the following.

Download W10 from the links provided, make a USB or ISO file from the download. If you select the ISO, make sure you have made the bootable DVD - or USB drive.

Install something like Active@disk image - make a image of the current drive, hidden partitions etc, save that to an external HDD.

Save any data etc.

Boot from a W10 or some type of partitioning software - delete ALL partitions, the recovery everything ( there will be something like 6-8 partitions) booting from the W10 media you made before, install W10 from fresh - it more than likely will ask for a product key - select " I don't have a product key" select the version of the original (home or Pro) install, if it doesn't ask for a key its detected it already --- when it finishes and connects to the internet (including 1101's instructions to disable the "phone home stuff) it should auto activate as the product key is in the motherboard.

Run Windows updates manually - it should pick up most if not all drivers -- Check in Device manager to look, any its missed you can manually download from HP.

You'll now have a clean install of W10, NO HP CRAP!!!!! you'll find it should run totally different.

PS: the image you made before is "just in case" you ever want to put it back to factory defaults.

PSS: just did a fresh install on a persons laptop, originally it had W8. Some person, replaced the blown drive a while back ( not me) and installed a pirated W7 (tisk tisk). I wiped the drive as described above and installed W10 fresh - the original embedded W8 key worked fine and activated on connecting to the internet.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-04-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Thanks Wainui.
    Be nice to have a crap free install!!!!
    Have made a W10 Media USB Drive and downloaded Active@Disc Image (will this image just copy the problem?)
    The W10 Media is only 3.39 GB on the drive. Seems to small to install windows or does it DL it at the time.

"Boot from a W10 or some type of partitioning software - delete ALL partitions, the recovery everything ( there will be something like 6-8 partitions) booting from the W10 media you made before, install W10 from fresh - it more than likely will ask for a product key - select " I don't have a product key" select the version of the original (home or Pro) install, if it doesn't ask for a key its detected it already --- when it finishes and connects to the internet (including 1101's instructions to disable the "phone home stuff) it should auto activate as the product key is in the motherboard."

Couple of questions,
    "Boot from a W10 or some type of partitioning software" Any recommendations

Re Serial No. System has serial no with OEM at end. Will that make a difference?

Machine is only 4 months old so will probably blow the warranty.

It really locked up earlier today and in desperation I decided to reinstall from recovery partition. Went through all the procedures and it gave up during the final reboot and came back with a message saying unable to complete the reinstall and reverted to original.(no reason given)
    My worry is that there is some reason that stopped the reinstall that may need repair (under Warranty).

Cheers
    Colin
    Last edited by Colpol; 12-04-2017 at 10:07 PM.

When you use something like Active@ to make an image, it copies exactly how the drive is at the time. The Image is ONLY in case at a later stage you wanted to put it back to factory default partitions and then run the factory restore ( or get some data off you forgot about).

The partitioning software I use is AOEMI http://www.disk-partition.com/ Install it on a PC, make a bootable cd or USB drive from the options down the left

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Partion_Media.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	8004

There are many other brands of software, just depends on what you like to use.

The hardest part with this is due to the BIOS setup options sometimes bootable media wont boot, you need to enter the BIOS and set it back to legacy and disable the secure boot, then once partitions are gone, go back into the BIOS and set back to defaults. then carry on.

Boot from that media -- right click each partition - delete - then apply, agree to the warnings - your HDD is now completely clean of anything HP.

Boot from the windows media - install W10.

Re.Re Serial number -- you don't need one. W10 will (or should) pick up the embedded key, when on line it should activate.

If you want, I can make a video ( sorry no block busters) of the whole process from start to finish without the boring waiting while installing. ?

Why it stopped could simply be a bad install from HP. Cant answer that without actually having the laptop. Even then you may never really know why it stopped.

If its going again, download crystal disk info, CrystalDiskInfo - Direct download - unzip it, run it and make sure the drive is not showing caution or Bad - if it is then there are failing sectors and could be part if not all of the problems.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

downloaded Crystal Disk Info. Ran it. showed "Caution"
    Reallocated Sectors Count 1
    Current Pending Sector Count 20
    When you hover mouse over Caution button.