Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonsils

Default Tonsils

So I had mine out on Friday, apparently the biggest the surgeon had taken out. Yay for the drugs, but apparently the worst pain will be around day 5. Hopefully will clear up a few issues I've had
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Default Re: Tonsils

I had mine removed in 1980 in Signapore General Hospital. It was a very smooth, successful 'minor' surgery. Frankly, I enjoyed my stay in the Hospital for 5 days. Pain? not quite. Discharged to rest at home for 2 weeks.

Maybe, I was still young at that time.

ICU for one night then home for me. I'm in my early forties, so old on the scale on tonsillectomys

Wow. I've had tonsillitis a couple of times, no major though, didn't get any medication even.

Friend of mine, boy she knows, 15, had his out a couple of weeks ago.
    He wasn't given any after care advice. Next thing he's vomiting blood, so much blood it looked like a slaughterhouse, bleeding continued, he almost drowned.

At ER they messed about giving him some gargle stuff, monitored him, then discharged him.
    Again with no advice.

Repeat of scenario a couple of days later, his heart was beating erratically this time, they dithered about transfusions, repeated the gargle stuff, kept him 3 days this time and that was it.

Apparently, with kids, cauterisation under general anesthetic is the treatment, he's had no B12 either, he's so anemic now he's on the critical level.

Hospitals......
    wipe your paws.

I had tonsillitis twice in my 20's I put it down to not finishing the anti biotics the first time, you feel better it doesn't seem important. The 2nd time they suggested surgery would be necessary if it happened again - I finished the anti biotics. Never came back.
    I don't like the Idea of having things removed generally so it was enough to scare me into taking the pills.
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

I had mine out in my early 30. ....... Constant breathing problems sinus infections throat infections.
    I had to have a nose op at same time. Flipped it up an ground drilled holes an bone off. One nostril had minimal hole so clogged a lot before that.
    Day 3 - 5 was the most painful ever. Walking the floor, waiting for pain killers to kick in so I could go back to bed. Hurt to breath, swallow, drink an crying cos of pain made it worse, ( ya know hurts so bad u cry, then crying makes it hurt worse, was Terrible) so got some of that throat numbing spray. An made sure I took meds before I had pain......
    Worst thing ever. Still scares me what I went through.
    All I can say is eat carefully an take good strong meds regularly.

About all I can recall at age 5 was vomiting post-op congealed blood, but that negative was overtaken by the joys of a mini diet involving eating lots of ice cream. Yum.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

I've being getting tonsillitis for as long as I can remember, at least twice a year. No such thing as a diet if ice cream anymore, they want you eating normally asap, help keep the wound clean. Bed rest is also a must, because of the bleeding mentioned. Hopefully this helps with the snoring and sleep apnea. Otherwise off to the sleep clinic

Like WalOne I had my tonsils out at about age 5,a very long time ago.

This was the norm then, as they considered the tonsils a redundant appendage and a source of infection. I think I had tonsillitis, but what I

do remember was the lovely ice cream I was given after I woke up!!

What to Eat After Tonsillectomy Surgery

Fluids are very important the first 48 hours after surgery.
    Drink enough to keep your mouth and throat moist. A dry mouth can dramatically increase your pain.

Drinking cold fluids can be soothing to a sore throat, similar to applying an ice pack to an injury. For this reason many people will sip ice cold water during their recovery.

What Not to Eat After Tonsillectomy Surgery

Skip the ice cream for the first day, along with other dairy foods for the first 24 hours after surgery. Dairy products can make a film in the mouth and throat, so avoiding dairy is important the first few days after surgery.

Popsicles are an excellent alternative, as they are cold and soothing and help with the patientís fluid requirements.

Opt for these foods:

Cold Foods - The cold of the food may help with the pain and swelling. Popsicles, frozen fruit pops and sorbet are ideal. Avoid dairy items, such as ice cream.
    Soft Foods - Mashed potatoes, pasta, cottage cheese (after the first 24 hours), and soup.
    Juice, Water, Athletic Drinks, Punch- Remember, if it is very cold, it may help with the pain and swelling.

Avoid these foods, however tempting they may be:

Spicy or Acidic Foods - Things like lemons, oranges and grapefruits are acidic and can cause pain at the surgical site; spicy foods can also cause irritation.
    Hot Foods - The temperature of foods served when hot can cause pain for some patients. Allow the food to cool before serving when possible, or select an alternative.
    Hard Foods - Skip foods such as potato chips, tortilla chips and other crunchy items during recovery. They can be very painful to swallow.
    wipe your paws.