Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: TVNZ on demand on Linux

Sarcastic works better -- And yep, just agreeing , use what ever works. Don't have lightbox, not going to either. Got WAY to much now and never watch it.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Cool. Now get lightbox working
    I’ll bet I can get more Windows Programmes working under Linux, than you can Linux Programmes working under Windows.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    I’ll bet I can get more Windows Programmes working under Linux, than you can Linux Programmes working under Windows.
    That post will turn arond and bite ya on the bum sometime in the not to distant future

This a technical reply to that comment. Like it or not its true.

Running Windows programs natively in Linux is not fully correct, to use a windows program you have to run it though something like WINE ( and even then they don't all work - your own experience) . Which is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications. Without it they simply wont work.

Windows 10 has a little known application that's on the insider builds already installed and ready to go. "The latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316 brought in a ton of new features, including Windows Subsystem for Linux. Aimed at developers, the subsystem is added in the latest test iteration of Windows 10 to allow developers to use Linux utilities without using a VM or a remote system"

Microsoft also says that Ubuntu on Windows 10 allows you to run Linux-first tools like Ruby and Python directly on Windows.
    There's plenty of articles you only need to search for them.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That post will turn arond and bite ya on the bum sometime in the not to distant future
    Not so.

I’m talking as of today, not some time in the future.

After all, Microsoft are paying the Linux Foundation $500,000 a year for their help.

HERE
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Not so.

I’m talking as of today, not some time in the future.

After all, Microsoft are paying the Linux Foundation $500,000 a year for their help.

HERE
    Like always BM - you never tell the full story, MS and other places are working together, bringing content to Linux and improving / offering more options than Linux on its own. MANY of the involvement is way beyond what the average Linux user will ever do or ability to understand. Tasks that the average user ( like yourself) do is basic and not of a concern or related to what's actually happening and developing.

As for paying to be part of a foundation--- not its not just MS. also
    include Cisco, Fujitsu, HPE, Huawei, IBM, Intel, NEC, Oracle, Qualcomm and Samsung. Google, Facebook and more than a dozen other prominent open source users are Gold sponsors
    “By becoming a Linux Foundation Platinum member, Microsoft is better able to collaborate with the open source community to deliver transformative mobile and cloud experiences to more people,” said Jim Zemlin, executive director of The Linux Foundation“Microsoft has been a key contributor to many projects, and we see the company intensifying its involvement and commitment to open development.”

Linux is still behind in some aspects, and windows in others, so working together is a benefit for both. Some things in Linux still not as good,
    Even after Valve’s work to bring Steam to Linux, Linux gaming lags behind its Windows counterpart.
    Other things Linux is better.

So really its a completely pointless discussion as to what's better. Both have advantages, both have disadvantages.

But still its a fact that Windows programs wont run on Linux without something like WINE, and even then not correctly - One example being the Web Cam.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    MS and other places are working together, bringing content to Linux and improving / offering more options than Linux on its own.
    So you expect me to believe that Microsoft are paying the Linux Foundation $500,000 a year and "bringing content to Linux" without any benefit to themselves.

All the other contributors are promoting Linux for very good reasons, which are all beneficial to themselves, but with Microsoft it’s all about helping the opposition.

Next thing you know they’ll be donating to Apple.

In the meantime there are others looking for a donation. HERE

So you expect me to believe that Microsoft are paying the Linux Foundation $500,000 a year and "bringing content to Linux" without any benefit to themselves.
    Of course they are getting benefits, as I posted before,
    MANY of the involvement is way beyond what the average Linux user will ever do or ability to understand. Tasks that the average user ( like yourself) do is basic and not of a concern or related to what's actually happening and developing.
    That money to Microsoft is nothing over a year.

Microsoft has also contributed to a number of Linux Foundation-managed projects like Node.js, OpenDaylight, the Open Container Initiative, the R Consortium and the Open API Initiative.
    Thats from your own link. Did you even read the article what you linked or simply saw the title -- If you had read it you would see.

Look it up as to what they are aiming at if you can figure it out, the answer is in the article linked. I'm not going to do your homework.

You started the subject poking fun at MS joining the foundation, to which they have been working with already for many years and already done a lot of work, the articles relating to the subject all basically say the same thing.

The article on IRD. There was another similar yesterday -- APPLE are being looked into as well, apparently they have not paid any Tax on something, some loop hole.

Found it http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11820240
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-03-2017 at 03:36 PM.

ARGH! - typed a whole response them bumped something and it all disappeared.

So shorter version. I don't want or need Linux programs to run on windows. I am a gamer so Linux is not viable as my primary OS and is only something I experiment with on spare hardware.
    I mentioned Lightbox mainly as an example of something that's difficult to do on Linux but easy on windows just to highlight that Linux can not just completely replace windows for everyone.

It suits some people, great. It does not suit many others.

Currently I'm reinstalling MINT serena because it got killed by a recommended update, something I'm sure you'd want us to believe only happens to windows.
    Installed on Friday, have to start again on Sunday. Yep Linux is stable. (yes I'm aware that's an unfair conclusion based on 1 experience......)
    i7 6700K, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 SSD, Gigabyte GTX980

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    ARGH! - typed a whole response them bumped something and it all disappeared.
    Just for future reference.

If you are writing out a longer reply, the auto save should kick in ( message bottom right of text box).

If something goes pear shaped To activate it, go back out of the thread, start a reply as before and bottom left you should get a button pop out asking to restore.

While you may not get it all back you can get some.

Edited: just tried it on this post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Restore.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	7951

Oh good we agree now.

Of course they are getting benefits

That money to Microsoft is nothing over a year.

And they very generously: “Over the course of just the last few years, it has essentially built Canonical’s Ubuntu distribution into Windows 10, brought*SQL Server to Linux, open-sourced core parts of its .NET platform and partnered with Red Hat, SUSE and others.”
    Now why would they do that. Generous to a fault.

As for the IRD being on their tail, there is nothing new about that.

Company’s have been dodging tax for years and the classic goes back to the “Wine Box” inquiry where to show our approval we knighted one of protagonists. Arise Sir Michael.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fay Richwhite.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	7952