Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Corrupt Bios in HP presario

My son has an HP impresario laptop which has been converted to Windows 10 Pro, and used by the kids, it has performed well, but ran out of space. It was full of trash and over 70 malware etc. It is now running well except that the keyboard, sound & network are "not installed", they are, and have drivers. I had a look at the BIOS and found all references to keyboard, networks and sound are missing. I downloaded a BIOS update and installed it "successfully". It is still the same. How can I force it to replace the BIOS rather than update it?

Older by the minute

Default Re: Corrupt Bios in HP presario

Have you looked under Device Manager? The Keyboard, sound etc might show the "yellow fault" icon indicating that the drivers are missing.

There are about 20 yellow faults! When I try to update the drivers I get the message that the installed drivers are correct. It would help if I could use the keyboard and go online. I will try downloading the Keyboard and Network drivers with another PC to install, then I can install the rest online.

You need to download the drivers(if you can) for the exact HP you have to a USB Drive,you may need a USB hub(keyboard/mouse/USB drive if you don't have enough USB Ports for the transfer of the Drivers to the Desktop

Go to device Manager and upgrade each (?) device by searching your comp for a better Driver

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    There are about 20 yellow faults! When I try to update the drivers I get the message that the installed drivers are correct. It would help if I could use the keyboard and go online. I will try downloading the Keyboard and Network drivers with another PC to install, then I can install the rest online.
    Sounds like the malware has caused a lot of damage. The drivers may be there BUT they can be badly damaged causing the problems.

What you may be better off doing is trying to do a repair install, or as a job I did a few days back, save all the data, and reinstall.
    You can always get the data off the PC and copy to a external HDD. On another PC, download a Linux Live CD/DVD, and boot from the media, attach the USB drive and copy that way, or even slave the Drive to another PC if you have a desktop.

Lately I been using xubuntu to do recovery work - to be more precise, to bypass the scam phone calls when they lock out / Password required.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

If it were corrupt it would be dead. Either repair it or wipe the lot / start again

Problem solved! Gave up and and formatted the drive with an msdos partition table, installed "Fat Dog Linux" 64 bit. with the loader in the MBR. Brilliant, no problems whatsoever, and fast. There was enough BIOS to set it to Legacy.

Good you are happy with what you now have, but FYI- the BIOS wont have been the problem. As Speedy posted if it were corrupted it would either be dead or wouldn't boot at all, would fail with errors, and if it were corrupted you certainly wouldnt be able to alter it.

Since you mentioned it had "20 yellow faults" in device manager, it was simply a corrupted system caused by Malware.

Booting into legacy settings simply means its got no secure boot.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

Just out of curiosity, what was the original OS?

Banned

Wainui, Iím afraid this sort of thing is becoming prevalent. (see Internet)

Ok, the following Screenshot comes from the Win7 machine that lead to the Win10 laptop the subject of the ďAccess DeniedĒ thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Device2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	7948

As you can see, it has similar symptoms to what mzee describes.

Ok, the first thing I did was check Device Manager and here were all these explanation marks.

Fine, Iíll reinstall the corrupted drivers but then get informed I already have the latest driver????

To get you this screenshot I had to burn it to a disk because the Wi-Fi and USB ports are not working.

From what I can see the OS and installed programmes are working but the majority of Drivers arenít.

Oh, my faithful Linux Mint machine is causing me no problems.